AECOM R&D Engineer 4 in Albany, Oregon
Business Line Energy
Position Title R&D Engineer 4
United States of America - Oregon
AECOM is seeking a Research and Development Engineer 4 for our Albany, OR location.
1) The R&D support shall be provided by an Engineer or Scientist with a degree in engineering or physics, plus 2 years of applied experience with expertise in R&D work that focuses on the following;
a. Utilize expertise in the area of Magneto-Hydro Dynamics (MHD) to generate and conduct experimental test plans, data analysis, and design and diagnostics of MHD systems.
b. Provide fundamental understanding of MHD based phenomena leading to the development of direct power extraction technologies to enhance power generation efficiencies.
c. Focus on investigating novel methods for design and testing of MHD channels and channel materials.
d. Conduct experiments, characterization, and testing of channel material performance.
e. Collect, analyze, and report experimental data from experiments.
f. Conduct of operations utilizing knowledge and experience in proper laboratory methods.
g. Proficient with Solidworks is required. Some experience with Matlab and Labview is preferred. Experience with Microsoft Office products including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel is also expected.
2) The candidate will provide R&D support to NETL-AECOM research staff. The support will be to provide laboratory support to the Advanced Combustion research team, with an emphasis on MHD technology design, evaluation, and characterization.
3) The candidate must possess extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, physics and mathematics. The candidate must possess knowledge of and practical experience with state-of-the-art MHD component development, design, and evaluation for direct power extraction applications.
4) The candidate should have previous work history in conducting research and development in a structured combustion laboratory environment using high temperature/pressurized systems and handling a variety of chemicals.
5) The ideal candidate will have experience and/or familiarity with conducting research in a US Government National Laboratory setting where conducting safe operations is paramount.
6) The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to author publications related to their research work.
7) An update will be due by the end of each month briefly describing the accomplishments from that month and the next month’s forecast. Also, the applicant will include the relevant status of patents, publications or presentations. Reported information concerning publications and presentations shall include full title, author listing and journal or society name.
8) An update will be due by the end of the quarter briefly describing that quarter’s accomplishments.
9) The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers. Group meetings occur on a regularly scheduled basis with additional meetings on short notice. The candidate should be proficient in creating PowerPoint presentations as requested for any group meetings. The frequency of these presentations is varied.
10) This position requires at least a BS with at least 8 years of experience or an MS with at least 3 years of experience in a Scientific or Engineering Discipline from an accredited university in laboratory operations with a preference of operations and analyses in a structured laboratory environment. Previous site experience at a US Government National Laboratory is preferred.
11) This position will require interfacing with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
Bachelors degree in Engineering, or related scientific field and at least 8 years of job-related experience or a Masters degree and 3 years of experience or a Ph. D. or equivalent. A Professional Engineer's license may substitute for 2 years of experience. Excellent communication and analytical skills; working knowledge of computer systems and integrated software application programs. Position may require travel. Position may require the ability to pass and maintain a Security Clearance.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here at http://www.aecom.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/EEO-is-the-Law-poster-supplement.pdf to view the EEO Is The Law poster.
Job Category Engineering
Country United States of America
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 166658BR