Kaiser Permanente Surgery Scheduling Coord PRN - Regional Office in Atlanta, Georgia
The Surgery Scheduling Coordinator ensures that the surgical encounter (outpatient vs. inpatient) is coordinated properly & is scheduled accurately and efficiently. Responsible for providing the highest quality customer service to our members, TSPMG practitioners, external practitioners, and external surgical sites through coordination of multidisciplinary facets of care, both internal and external. Responsible for the management and coordination of surgical schedules, cross-specialty schedules and availability of appropriate equipment and supplies for surgical cases. Acts as a liaison and coordinates information flow between the Specialist, PCP and Hospitalists. Responsible for data processing, diagnostic reporting, clinical information gathering, verification of coverage, QRM authorization, and completion of pre-operative requirements.
Essential Responsibilities: - Schedules inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures. - Uses judgment, experience and insight to ensure that surgical cases are scheduled according to best practice standards, achieving the best possible outcome for the member. To achieve success in posting a case, must consider all aspects affecting the case i.e. surgeon's time constraints and availability, surgical suite availability at multiple surgical sites, and coordination of ancillary services that may be indicated.
Reviews surgical ticket to ensure that the surgical facility and anesthesia screening requirements are met. Must remain knowledgeable with the current anesthesia screening requirements and other written guidelines as they relate to age and existing medical conditions. Communicates the patient's needs to the practitioner to ensure compliance.
Insures that orders for lab, radiology, or other testing are entered by the practitioners, or pends necessary orders to practitioner for signature as needed.
Performs pre-authorization through QRM.
Coordinates surgical assistance, both TSPMG practitioners, external practitioners, & various surgical assisting groups.
- Coordinates the availability of special equipment implants, vendor resources and instrumentation for the surgeon in the operating room suite. Communicates his/her needs and preferences to the surgical facility to ensure availability. Examples: special lab equipment, sinus debriders, Co2 lasers.
Coordinates scheduling of representatives of medical equipment companies and special equipment, as requested by the physician for trials of new equipment during surgical procedures.
Coordinates joint cases with various surgical services both internal & external i.e. GYN, Urology, Vascular, Plastic, etc.
- Schedules Stereotactic Biopsies, Ultrasound Guided Biopsies, and breast MRI's under the guidance of the Breast Care Coordinator and Breast Center Chief. Conveys pertinent appointment information to the member to ensure accurate and complete preparation and timely completion of the indicated procedure.
Coordinates scheduling of pre-op procedures that require radiology assistance i.e. MRI, CT, VTI, lymph node mapping, needle localization, etc.
Schedules sequential appointments for the member both pre and post operatively. Employs judgment and insight to ensure timeliness and coordination of the various appointments as they relate to the surgical encounter. i.e. labs, medical clearance, cardiac clearance, etc.
Communicates with patient and coordinates all encounters that are required during the peri-operative period i.e. pre-op office appt., PCP/HCT pre-op testing appointment (either telephone vs. actual visit. Provides procedural instructions per departmental guidelines to include diet restrictions, medication restrictions and directions to the surgery site. Schedules post- operative appointment.
- Responsible for coordination of films availability at the procedure &/or surgery site, as dictated by the needs of the surgeon or site. Responsible for updating the film tracking system or Dept. of Radiology to reflect exact location of the films.
- Ensures that pre-op lab results and clearance statements are available for review pre-operatively by the surgeon or his/her designee.
- Schedules cosmetic surgery patients, after business office has ensured payment.
- Responsible to insure that correct coding is in place to achieve correct posting and billing.
- Manages doctors schedules for maximum efficiency between all surgery sites, including 2-3 twenty-three hour stay facilities, 3 Hospitals and 2-3 offices, allowing for adequate travel time while meeting the members' needs and requests.
- Documents all member communications in the electronic medical record.
- Communicates any change in the member's medical condition, as reported/stated by the member, to the surgeon or his/her designee according to department guidelines.
- Establish a relationship with practitioners based on integrity and credibility.
- Prepares pre op packets for the clinical area(s) insuring inclusion of required forms specific to the scheduled procedure based on department guidelines. Various packets should include forms specific/ unique to the surgery facility being used.
- Mails out surgical information/notification per department guidelines.
- Cross trains to various clerical department functions.
Qualifications: Basic Qualifications: Experience - Minimum three (3) years prevoius medical related clinical experience as a MA,LPN, or Surgical Technician. Education - High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required. License, Certification, Registration - N/A.
Additional Requirements: - Demonstrated knowledge of Medical terminology. - Knowledge of ICD9/CPT coding. - Ability to prioritize responsibilities. - Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. - Dependability with punctuality & attendance. - Ability to build and sustain excellent relationships with members, their families, fellow staff members. - Ability to develop and maintain excellent relationship with internal and external customers. - Customer service aptitude demonstrated through the Customer Service Assessment. - Customer service experience. - Clinical background experience. - Demonstrates high level of proficiency in the following software packages of equivalent: Microsft Office, OpTime, Epic Possesses.
Preferred Qualifications: - Graduate from formal training program as MA,LPN, or Surgical Technician preferred.
COMPANY Kaiser PermanenteTITLE Surgery Scheduling Coord PRN - Regional OfficeLOCATION Atlanta, GAREQNUMBER 610619
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.