HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Lead Surgical Tech (Cardiovascular) - Days w/ Weekend Rotation in Austin, Texas
POSITION DESCRIPTION The Lead Surgical Technologist, under the direct Supervision of the Charge Nurse of Surgery, and the direction of the Manager of Surgery, accepts overall responsibility for a designated surgical area. The Lead Technologist is responsible for assuring all equipment, supplies and instruments are available and operational. Ensures accuracy and organization of equipment and instruments. The Lead Technologist is responsible for training and mentoring other staff. Serves as a role model to other staff by demonstrating positive, effective communication skills and the ICARE Values. The Surgical Technologist functions under direction of the Registered Nurse and Physician to facilitate the safe and effective completion of invasive surgical procedures. The Lead Surgical Technologist possesses extensive knowledge of aseptic technique, human anatomy, surgical procedures and current technology used to facilitate a Physician’s performance of invasive therapeutic, emergent and diagnostic procedures. The Lead Technologist serves as preceptor and teaches other less experienced Surgical Techs and RNs. The Lead Technologist takes an active involvement in Unit Meetings and In Services.
/ Assist with supervision /
· Assist and oversee specialty tasks performed by Surgical Techs to assure Unit is provided with supplies, instruments and necessary equipment for service-specific procedures, within budgetary constraints and par levels
· Oversee the function of specific equipment, including troubleshooting and training staff on utilization
· Responsible for updating staff of newly implemented ideas in the Department and advising of process via email or posted notices
· Obtain preferences from service specific physicians on regarding procedures and assist in updating preference cards.
· Assist in updating policies and procedures assuring they are implemented within AORN and HCA standards and guidelines
/ Participates in Unit activities /
· Maintains current professional knowledge and skills
· Demonstrates initiative in independent study and seeks opportunities for learning.
· Serves as a resources for staff and physicians
· Demonstrates Meditech skills by printing surgery schedule, preference cards and communicating on outlook.
· Participates in budget and inventory control
· Keeps Business Manager informed of needed items
· Participates in self and staff development
· Takes appropriate action to prevent/manage accidents in the workplace
· Assists with orientation of new employees
· Participates in performance/process improvement
· Facilitates and promotes Surgery efficiencies such as First Case Starts and physician turnover times
EDUCATION REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technologist program.
*LICENSE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: *Certified Surgical Technologist. CPR certification
*REQUIRED: *Five years recent experience as a LVN and or, CST with demonstrated competency in multiple inpatient and outpatient surgical specialties. Experience in Orthopedics, Robotics, General, Neuro, Urology, GYN and CV.
PREFERRED:* Surgical Services – Operating Room
Job: *Nursing Support
Title: Lead Surgical Tech (Cardiovascular) - Days w/ Weekend Rotation
Location: Texas-Austin-South Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00196-55015