HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Patient Care Tech III (PCT) - Progressive Care Unit - Nights in Austin, Texas
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES (The essential responsibilities and accountabilities of this position including interactions with other departments and outside vendors, if applicable, in PRIORITY order.)
1) Primary Functions
· Assures admission paperwork is available and actively participates in the admission process.
· Actively participates in administering patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
· Responds to patients needs in a timely manner.
· Assists patients with ADL’s including meals, bathing, and hygiene needs.
· Performs/assists with range of motion exercises and ambulation. Performs cardiac rehab. exercises with patients per protocol.
· Performs/assists with positioning patients and transferring patients from bed to chair or wheelchair or stretcher. Transports patients as needed.
· Reports abnormal conditions to the RN in a timely manner.
· Maintains personal responsibility for professional growth and development.
· Applies the knowledge of growth and development to appropriate patient populations.
· Maintains patient confidentiality.
· Maintains universal precautions.
· Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
2) Technical Activities
· Observes intravenous lines for adequacy of fluids and operations and reports any non-functioning line visually observed.
· Performs oral suctioning with a Yankauers.
· Establishes patient setup/connection tasks including inputting patient specific data for hemodynamic monitor use, SaO2, and EKG.
· Demonstrates ability to perform 12 lead EKG.
· Collects specimens such as urine, stool, or sputum.
· Obtains weight and basic patient information for new admissions.
· Monitors and performs vital signs using a variety of equipment, and reports abnormalities/unanticipated changes to RN.
· Performs blood glucose monitoring.
· Demonstrates basic phlebotomy skills.
· Performs urinary catheterization.
· Performs ostomy care.
· Administers non-medicated enemas.
· Performs surgical preps on patients.
· Ability to assist RN/MD in removal of sheath and applies manual pressure or c-clamp after hemostasis has been established.
· Observes sheath site for signs of bleeding and notifies RN of any changes.
· Ability to apply single dressings and to assist RN with more complex dressings.
· Provides clerical support as needed.
3) Staff/Unit Responsibilities
· Utilizes resources in an efficient and cost effective manner.
· Participates in peer review.
· Participates in developing other staff and affiliating students.
· Maintains and develops own professional competencies.
· Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
· Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
· Actively participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization
· Review program.
· Assumes a role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
· Provides services to the physicians, within his/her scope of practice.
· Supports the multi-skilled worker environment (i.e., cross training).
· Demonstrates willingness to staff other areas of the hospital as needed.
· Assists with patient charges as are necessary.
· Maintains knowledge of and confirms to hospital policy and procedure.
· Assures that patient equipment and supplies are available and are in working condition.
4) Emergency Room PCT Responsibilities
· Acts as a resource for information and comfort to the families of patients.
· Promotes patient-focused environment.
· Communicates effectively with all level of hospital personnel.
· Assists in facilitation of emergency treatment to minimize any delay.
· Maintains a safe and clean environment.
5) Operating Room PCT Responsibilities
· Provides quality individualized nursing care to the perioperative patient and family.
· Implements established techniques, policies, and procedures under the direction of an RN.
· Fosters an environment conducive to the dynamic changing pace of today's technology through continuous review and assessment of perioperative care.
· Actively supports the coordination of staffing patterns, patient procedures, and physician cases-efficiently and cost effectively.
6) Cath Lab PCT Responsibilities
· Assists RN with patient assessment pre, peri, and post procedure.
· Maintains a safe, aseptic environment.
· Adheres to procedural protocols.
· Maintains equipment in proper working order.
· Participates in total maintenance of department.
· Adheres to dress code, conduct and attendance policies.
· Accepts both positive and negative constructive feedback.
· Attends at least 80% of in-services and departmental meetings.
· Demonstrates a supportive/positive attitude toward the hospital and fellow employees – is a positive team member.
· Expresses self in an organized, comprehensive, articulate and concise manner.
· Offers input in specific work plans and due dates.
· Follows through on planned assignments within assigned timeframes.
· Effectively prioritizes assignments.
· Demonstrates a willingness to accept extra assignments.
· Adjusts to change, work pressures or different situations without undue stress.
· Demonstrates skill in developing improvements in work methods.
9) Key Relationships
· Maintains positive relationships with internal customers. Is effective in interacting with and problem solving.
· Maintains positive relationships with external customers. Is effective in interacting with and problem solving.
· Proactive in meeting customer’s needs. Responds promptly to customer needs or requests.
· Keeps Team Leader informed of problems, recommends solutions.
· Participates in education/development of peers and other staff
10) Annual Requirements
· SDH Annual Education
· Attendance Requirements
· Adheres to Department Dress Code
· Code of Conduct Refresher Course
o Annual Competency Training (if applicable)
o BLS (if required)
o ACLS (if required)
o PALS (if required)
High School Graduate/Equivalent
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
BLS certification required prior to end of orientation
Job: *Nursing Support
Title: Patient Care Tech III (PCT) - Progressive Care Unit - Nights
Location: Texas-Austin-Heart Hospital of Austin
Requisition ID: 25960-55525