HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Registered Nurse (RN) Newborn Nursery in Austin, Texas
100 Top Hospitals Seven Consecutive Years
St. David’s Medical Center is part of St. David’s HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized in 2014 with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. Founded in 1924, St. David’s Medical Center is a full-service medical center offering comprehensive medical care at three locations—St. David’s Medical Center, Heart Hospital of Austin and St. David’s Georgetown Hospital.
Located in central Austin, St. David’s Medical Center includes a 350-bed acute care hospital and a 64- bed rehabilitation hospital providing comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care. It is home to the internationally renowned Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute and St. David’s Neuroscience & Spine Institute. The hospital provides a complete range of women’s services, including its acclaimed maternity unit, maternal-fetal medicine, a high-risk maternal and neonatal transport team, the region’s largest and most sophisticated Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and The Breast Center; complex surgical services; a comprehensive Bariatric Surgery Center; and a 24-hour emergency department.
St. David’s Medical Center was named among the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals by Truven Health Analytics from 2010 to 2016. Truven also named St. David’s Medical Center to the list of 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals in 2013, 2015 and 2016. The hospital earned a national distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group from 2012 to 2016, and it received the 2016 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades for the fifth consecutive year, as well as Healthgrades’ 2016 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™ for the second consecutive year.
_ _ _Position Description:_ Responsible for professional nursing care and related assistance to patients with a broad range of illnesses.
The RN is involved in direct and indirect patient care. The RN provides direction to licensed vocational nurses (LVNs) and other non-licensed nursing personnel in providing direct patient care. The staff nurse supports the medical care of patients under the direction of the Medical Staff pursuant to the objectives of the hospital. In collaboration with other health team members, follows the philosophy, policies and goals of the facility and department.
1) Administers care for the obstetrical patient having surgical procedure in the Labor & Delivery Operating Suite. Intraoperative and post anesthesia care is in accordance with Hospital established standards of care.
2) Performs steam sterilization processing of instruments and supplies for the MCH unit in accordance with Hospital standards for sterilization. Assures sterilization parameters have been met before utilizing supplies.
3) Assists with the care of the newborn at deliveries. Maintains skills in neonatal resuscitation.
4) Demonstrates assessment skills in both high risk and low risk obstetrical patients. Recognition of maternal and/or fetal problems are identified and reported to the physician.
5) Assists with the transfer of newborn to another facility when indicated. Notifies charge nurse and House Supervisor of anticipated transfer.
6) Notifies all surgical team members of emergency and scheduled surgical procedures.
7) Accurately identifies and bands newborn, mother and significant others with matching identabands. Documents band identification number appropriately in medical record. Verifies band and medical record document with nursery upon arrival to nursery.
8) Provides emotional support and assists in contracting Pregnancy Loss Support Group for parents/significant others experiencing grief due to newborn condition at birth, parental separation from newborn, neonatal death or fetal demise.
9) Demonstrates knowledge and provides support to natural mother, agencies, and foster or adoptive parents when newborn is for adoption.
10) Demonstrates knowledge of individual role in Hospital infant abduction plan.
11) Demonstrate understanding of HCA's and "Patients First" safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
12) Performs other related duties as directed or required.
The Registered Nurse (RN) utilizes the nursing process to direct and deliver comprehensive nursing care to patients on an assigned unit in a safe and proficient manner according to individual patient needs. Provides direct patient care based upon South Austin Medical Center Hospital Standards of Care and Standards of Practice, Polices, Procedures and Practice Guidelines. Provides guidance and supervision to Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN), Nursing Technicians, Nursing Assistants and Unit Secretaries. He/she acts as patient and advocate with the Hospital environment. Assumes Charge Nurse responsibilities and accepts assignments on other units when necessary.
_LICENSE/CERTIFICATION:_ Required: Current TX RN license. _ EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE:_ Required: At least one year of nursery experience.
Job: *Nursing - Professional
Title: Registered Nurse (RN) Newborn Nursery
Location: Texas-Austin-St. David%27s Medical Center
Requisition ID: 06676-55336