Waste Management Route Manager in British Columbia, Canada
Equal Opportunity Employer:Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), aFortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste andenvironmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to afoundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financialstrength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential,commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through anetwork of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recyclingfacilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Manages collectionroutes and driver/laborer performance on a daily basis in single or multipleline of businesses: Residential, Commercial, Roll-Off, HCS, and Bagster.
II. EssentialDuties and Responsibilities
To perform this jobsuccessfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to accomplish activities. Coordinates daily operational needs with Maintenance team.
- Plans, distributes, monitors, and follows-up daily route assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards and agreements.
- Manages the end-of-day check-in process, capturing and communicating key service, safety, and equipment issues.
- Monitors driver and laborer time and attendance, minimizing overtime and ensuring that drivers do not exceed limits established by regulatory agencies (e.g., 60 hour rule).
- Reviews weekly demand / volume for routes, determines potential gains from re-routing, and recommends re-routes to the routing specialist.
- Sets and monitors productivity, service, and safety targets for each route and driver.
- Assists with data collection and reporting required for incentive pay programs.
- Promotes a union free atmosphere and where appropriate, establishes collaborative relations with unions.
- Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labor relations issues.
- Acquires and coordinates temporary workers assigned to assist drivers on routes.
- Ensures that drivers comply with physicals, drug or alcohol tests, and training required by regulatory agencies.
- Conducts Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
- Visits customers and customer sites to evaluate and resolve safety issues, seeking service alternatives where appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains a clean, safe work environment in compliance with Company/Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) standards.
- Documents problem fixes and provides instructions to dispatch/service should problems recur.
- Communicates and follows-up on sales opportunities, problems at customer site, DVIR repairs, container swaps, and safety issues reported by drivers.
- Notifies customer service of delivery days for specific areas.
- Ensures set-up errors and missed pickups are reported and resolved.
- Documents and maintains records required by regulatory agencies such as the Department of Transportation.
- Reviews and audits documentation related to route operations on a daily basis (e.g., DVIRs, driver time and attendance, open tickets), following-up where appropriate.
This job has supervisoryresponsibilities for Drivers assigned to the position. This includesresponsibility for employee performance reviews and feedback, scheduling timeoff, employee grievances or complaints, pay changes and job responsibilities.
The requirements listedbelow are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education andExperience
Required: Associate'sDegree (accredited) or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED(accredited) and 2 years of relevant work experience work intransportation, logistics, warehousing, or solid waste operations in whichcoaching, routing assessments and leading employees were requirements of therole.
Experience: Experiencemanaging in a unionized environment is an asset.
B. Certificates,Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge,Skills or Abilities Required
Listed below are keypoints regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonableaccommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities toperform the essential functions of the job.
- Normal setting for this job is:office setting and/or landfill/outdoor.
AtWaste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive totalcompensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance andShort Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match onPension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays,and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Ifthis sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click"Apply.” *MSJA*
Title: Route Manager
Location: Canada-British Columbia-Coquitlam
Requisition ID: 17007356