Farmers Insurance Commercial Underwriter I in Caledonia, Michigan
We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world. Start your career at Farmers today!
- Responsible for evaluating, underwriting and processing applications for both existing and new business for the Commercial group.
Incumbent is responsible for servicing current policies for assigned lines of businesses and territories and underwrites policies up to authority limits.
Essential Job Functions
Reviews and evaluates underwriting to gain an understanding of the loss potential and appropriate price for the exposures presented.
- Computes rates and premiums based on findings and applies discretionary modification within authority.
- Documents any exceptions to established guidelines along with other critical account information. Selects the appropriate declarations, coverage forms, exclusions and optional coverage in order to complete a policy.
- Reviews accounts for acceptability, eligibility, classification and proper pricing based on assigned products and authority levels with the discretion to make exceptions after analyzing each risk.
- Accepts, modifies or rejects risks, within set authority level, based on a review of business in terms of loss experience, inspection reports, file information, web resources, policyholder tenure, related policies, and nature of risk in accordance with company guidelines, standards and compliance with state laws.
- Conducts appropriate reviews in order to prepare referrals for transactions above authority level to the underwriter or team manager. Provides agents direction into profitable markets then partners with then to drive profitable growth within assigned territories.
- Develops effective working relationships with assigned agents. Includes correspondence, phone calls and email to gather and analyze necessary information critical to the underwriting function.
- Responsible for driving and ensuring all policy transactions are issued and changes are processed accurately and in a timely manner. Manages work assignments in order to ensure service level agreements are achieved and maintained. May be required to work outside of core business hours depending on business needs.
Responsible for consulting departmental procedures relating to issuing, renewing, reinstating, canceling and changing accounts in order to ensure policies are compliant with various regulatory and company guidelines. Performs other functions as assigned.
Required job duties include sedentary work as well as some or all of the following physical activities; lifting and/or carrying 40-lbs (suitcases, projectors, handouts, laptop computer, etc.), seeing, speaking, hearing, and occasional operation of a motor vehicle.
Required job duties are normally performed in a climate controlled office environment with occasional job duties performed in company car, airplane, hotels and various physical sites dictated by travel that are not always in a climate controlled environment.
Four year college degree AU or CIC designation or completion of sections 500/510, 520 or 530 of CPCU courses preferred.
One to two years prior work experience with insurance industry related experience preferred.
Special Skill Requirement
Must be detail oriented and accurate with demonstrated organizational skills. Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills required. Ability to perform general mathematical calculations, be able to work in a fast paced team environment and have a consistent commitment to excellence. Analytical thinking skills required to make timely, appropriate decisions and recommendations after reviewing all relevant information.
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
Organization: *Farmers Insurance
Title: Commercial Underwriter I
Requisition ID: 170005GC