Comcast Principal Research Engineer - Data in Centennial, Colorado
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Data Architecture and Advanced Development
As part of Comcast's data division, our advanced development team is a results driven, advanced technology, applied research, and exploration team in the Data organization at Comcast. We have an overarching objective to factorize potential long-term research into achievable discrete and measurable efforts. We bridge the research-to-engineering gap through external outreach to the developer and academic communities, as well as "inreach", integrating into existing product and engineering teams. Additionally, members of the team will be responsible for development of knowledge dissemination processes and advanced prototyping in areas of long-term interest to the Data organization.
Who does the Platform engineer work with?
Data team researchers collaborate with experts from many disciplines: the greater industry, academic researchers, internal software engineers, software architects, network engineers, big data scientists, player developers, content security specialists, and various video technologists. We're a small team that focuses on research through engagement and application both internal and external.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
Members of our team develop technical concepts in a wide array of topics as they relate to the software and systems for the next generation, cloud-based, data platforms and services within Comcast. Comcast collects terabytes of data every second, from across our delivery and customer platforms. The data team organizes this data, and provides platforms and tools which allow a wide variety of internal personas to derive insight at scale.
- Active collaboration and integration with internal engineering teams and project stakeholders to facilitate and amplify engineering and innovation centers
- Identification and development of early requirements for new features and platforms
- Prototype and prove new technologies, concepts and methodologies relevant to our problem space
- Define and refine team knowledge dissemination processes that facilitate innovation
- Active open-source, developer, and academic community engagement
- Leadership of small, matrixed DevOps teams on an as needed basis
Here are some of the specific technologies we use:
- Spark(AWS EMR), AWS Lambda
- SparkStreaming and Batch
- Avro, Parquet
- MemSQL, Cassandra,HBase,MongoDB, RDBMS
- Caching Frameworks(ElasticCache)
- Elasticsearch, Beats, Logstash, Kibana
- Java, Scala, Go, Python, R
- Git,Maven, Gradle, Jenkins
- Rancher, Puppet, Docker, Ansible, Kubernetes
- Hadoop (HDFS, YARN, ZooKeeper, Hive), Presto
Skills & Requirements:
- 7 years programming experience
- Experience in software development of large-scale distributed systems including proven track record of delivering backend systems that participate in a complex ecosystem.
- Experienceindata related technologies and open source frameworks preferred
- ProficientinUnix/Linux environments
- Knowledge of network engineering and security
- Test-driven development/testautomation, continuous integration, and deployment automation
- Enjoyworking withdata analysis, data quality and reporting
- Excellentcommunicator, able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- Great design and problem solving skills
- Adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Keen attention to detail and high level of commitment
- Thrivesin a fast-paced agile environment
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer