Comcast Sr. Oracle Database Engineer in Centennial, Colorado
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Responsible for coordinating the operation of complex data base files. Performs all aspects of database administration including: scheduling work, training staff, hardware and software evaluation and installation, logical and physical database design and implementation, structured testing of database designs, security administration, backup and recovery planning, performance and tuning, research and evaluation of new tools and techniques, and development of policies, standards, and procedures. Works closely with the development and testing teams and supports the activities of principle engineers, developers and software testers for new application deployment and sustained engineering of existing applications. Participates with the implementation and support of development systems, QA systems, and production systems at data centers, including all network- and systems- related infrastructure components. Leads engineering functions as they relate to the planning, design, integration, test, deployment and support of products. Integrates knowledge of business and functional priorities. Acts as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. May lead teams or projects and shares expertise.
- Leads a task force to develop and implement a database that addresses current and future business needs. Maintains hardware platforms to perform at optimum response; maintains capacity planning and implements new databases due to conversions.
- Develops and implements complex data models and logical database designs. Oversees the design/tune, and maintains and supports database systems for high available, high-volume internet applications.
- Manages and tests backup and recovery plans and improves disaster recovery plans.
- Develops and implements plans to oversee the database administration function and ensures smooth transition to new technology. Provides recommendations on database technologies and features.
- Communicates and understands impact of database changes and status to affected parties and designs appropriate solutions. Provides updates in database technologies and trends.
- Develops database technology standards and associated documentation.
- Works with the network and security teams to ensure database adherence to security standards.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Works with other members of cross-functional teams, joint ventures, third party vendors and Company's Product Managers and Marketing teams to deliver quality products, in a timely fashion, that meet defined requirements.
- Participates in Company product lifecycle process. Contributes to and/or creates product and technical requirements, detailed design documents including transaction, capacity and bandwidth models, systems definitions, and operational procedures as part of this process.
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
Field of Study
- Information Sciences, Technology, Computer Science
Years of Experience
- Generally requires 7-11 years related experience
- Unix Shell and PERL scripting proficiency
- UNIX and Linux System Administration (such as RedHat and Sun Solaris) in multi-server environment.
- Experience working in an Agile environment is a plus
- Clustering technologies (Sun Cluster, Veritas, Oracle RAC, etc) experience
- SAN administration and volume management experience
- Virtualization/cloud experience (VMware, OpenStack) is a plus
- Application support/administration on large scaled platforms with high visibility
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer