AECOM Structures Inspection Engineer - Bridges in Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Business Line Transportation
Position Title Structures Inspection Engineer - Bridges
United Kingdom - Manchester
AECOM are currently recruiting for an experienced Structures Inspection Engineer who wants to pursue a career in the inspection and maintenance of bridges and other transportation structures. This role will be based in our Chesterfield office, as part of our busy bridge investigations and surveys team, within the bridges section.
Our office is a two minute walk from the railway station and equally close to Chesterfield town centre. In addition to a large bridges team of circa 30 staff, it also accommodates busy geotechnical engineering, environmental, buildings and places, transportation planning, water and major highways teams. We are now looking to enhance and grow the bridges investigations and surveys team with hard working individuals who share our enthusiasm and determination to support our expanding workload.
The bridges investigation and surveys team are difficult access specialists able to carry out rope access, confined space entry, operate cherry pickers and erect scaffold towers. The team’s workload ranges from developing, managing and carrying out cyclical inspection programmes, inspection for assessment, special inspections, non-destructive testing and site supervision on a wide range of highway and rail bridges, buildings and other structures. The team is involved in local, national and international work, with a variety of both, from the public and private sector.
Current projects include:
Derbyshire County Council Cyclical Inspections
Wolverhampton City Council
City of Edinburgh Council
Highways England Structures Inspection Review
As a Structures Inspection Engineer you will have the following daily responsibilities:
Inspecting bridges, underground structures and retaining walls to national and international standards, principally on highways and railways bridges, culverts, subways etc.
Provide guidance on structures maintenance proposals.
Provide information for estimates for bridge repairs.
Carry out risk assessments for inspections and produce method statements.
Preparing inspection reports including maintenance activity recommendations and other deliverables for Structures schemes.
Meet with clients to discuss their requirements
To be considered for this position we would like to hear from candidates with the following;
• Previous experience with structures inspection, with proven bridge inspection experience and identification of safety related defects.
• A genuine interest in transportation structures and good communication skills.
• Your technical background will allow you to contribute towards the maintenance of steel, reinforced concrete and pre-stressed concrete transportation structures.
• A commitment to comply with Health and Safety at Work and meeting the needs of our Clients.
• Knowledge of and be working towards accreditation for the Bridge Inspectors Scheme.
• Have or be working towards CEng or IEng status.
• Familiar with the Highways Agency’s Guidance - Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB).
• Experience of inspecting rail structures would also be advantageous but is not essential as training would be given in this area if necessary.
• Familiar with inspection practices and Bridge Condition Indicator forms (including the Inspection Manual for Highway Structures) and be able to compile electronic inspection reports.
• A good understanding of the basic mechanisms of structural deterioration and structure components.
• Knowledge of non-destructive testing techniques such as half-cell potential surveys would be advantageous but is not essential as training in this area will be given if necessary.
• Experience of / qualifications in difficult access techniques such as IRATA or Confined space access would be advantageous but is not essential as training in this area will be given if necessary.
• Working as a Structures Inspector, the candidate will ensure quality systems and health and safety systems are followed in the execution and reporting of all inspections
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Category Engineering - Civil
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 160001BR