Comcast Sr. Storage Engineer, VIPER in Denver, Colorado
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Sr. Storage Engineer, VIPER
Comcast TP, Technology Product, Division is transforming how Comcast customers access and enjoy entertainment, communications and home management services across all mediums&"online, mobile and TV. By assembling the country's top thinkers, we are rapidly becoming the premier environment for building and launching one-of-a-kind experiences that make everyday life easier and more entertaining for millions of customers.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and storage solutions? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment? We're looking for an engineer passionate about high performance, scale-out storage. Do you enjoy eeking out the last bit of performance out of your storage system? Do you spend your free time playing with new filesystem or object storage technologies? If so, we want to talk to you!
As a Senior Storage Engineer on the VIPER Platform Infrastructure team, you will help design, manage, operate and engineer high performance and highly reliable advanced storage solutions. The VIPER Engineering team is a new, small and fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does the senior storage engineer work with?
As a senior storage engineer you will work with the core infrastructure development teams, the architecture team and daily operations and support teams. We work with network engineers, systems administrators, software engineers, and a pile of technically-adept-but-not-actually-technical product folks. The Systems Engineering and Service Delivery Engineering teams are a diverse collection of software engineers, systems engineers, systems administrators, network administrators, puppet developers, and quality assurance engineers from all walks of life. We're a group of experienced technical minds who are the last word when it comes to solving problems encountered by our production support teams. We are also solution architects and designers who thrive on solving the problem by applying technology and delivering quickly.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
In your role, you will support the engineering and design work being performed by the core architecture team and provide them with expertise in the area of storage solutions that best fit the solution architecture. You will also bridge the gap between development and operations. Trace defects through a cutting edge service oriented architecture to find root cause. You will also work with QA teams to help them determine best testing strategies and models to validate various storage solutions.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to help roll out the video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages.
- Assist in the design and support storage systems used for a very large (multi-petabyte) content processing and delivery environment supporting video on demand and live streaming systems.
- Plan and manage the configuration of storage hardware and software according to best practices, while ensuring high levels of data quality and availability for all storage solutions supporting VIPER.
- Interpret storage protocols including NFS, S3, and iSCSI and work with platforms that use them.
- Ensure the ability to properly monitor, manage, and maintain large scale storage systems according to Comcast specified standards, applications, and tools.
- Work closely with operations teams to triage and analyze any production issues while maintaining service level agreements.
- Develop and implement capacity planning and performance tuning strategies for all storage systems providing trend analysis.
- Implement and oversee policies and procedures to ensure consistent storage provisioning, uptime and data protection.
- Maintain current knowledge of storage-related trends and issues including current emerging technologies and best practices.
Skills & Requirements:
- A BS in Computer Science and 5 years of equivalent experience; MS in Computer Science highly preferred.
- Hands-on experience with network attached storage systems (NetApp).
- Hands-on experience or familarity with object storage technology (Cleversafe).
- Familiarity with clustered file systems (Lustre, ZFS).
- Solid understanding and knowledgebase of various storage technologies and platforms. Must be familiar with the capabilities and limitations of the different storage technology components.
- Knowledge of containerized infrastructure (Docker, Kubernetes) and an understanding of microservices architecture is a plus.
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team.
- Communicate clearly with peers as well as management and provide technical leadership to more junior team members.
- Flexibility to adjust to changing requirements, schedules and priorities.
- The ability to socialize ideas, make recommendations and gather team consensus to move forward.
- Excellent communication, writing, meeting facilitation skills.
- Very analytical and thorough in tasks assigned. Focused on details.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer