Comcast XOC HFC Technician in Everett, Washington
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Responsible for prioritizing and remediation of impairments and serious incidents in a complex and changing 24x7 environment with critical uptime requirements. Responsible for monitoring power failures, communication alarms and other performance issues that may affect the network. Responsible for monitoring alarms or certain conditions that may require special attention in order to avoid impact on network performance. Technical analysis of network issues and outages as they occur across customer enterprise networks, and communicating and prioritizing work flows across a geographically diverse team of personnel that is accountable for care and repair of the network infrastructure. Research to troubleshoot and resolve the issues, or, depending upon complexity, escalates the issue to higher-level system administrators and network engineers. Responsible for research and accurate documentation of various mitigation strategies; must maintain current and through knowledge of customer technologies and their si gnificance to customer operations. May also perform basic system administration tasks such as network/system troubleshooting, operating systems and applications.
- Identify, isolate and direct fix agent to point of failure
- Recognize, identify and prioritize incidents in accordance with customer business requirements, organizational policies and operational impact
- Assist senior technical personnel to predict future issues or outages
- Provide highly diverse range of duties in support of technical and Engineering teams
- Monitor, graph and collocate faults
- Monitor and facilitate network maintenance
- Facilitate and provide leadership during service incidents, the handling of triage around network events, root cause analysis, supporting backup, recovery and continuity
- Diagnose network and service issues, following them through to resolution
- Apply root cause analysis, accurate documentation, source of failure, and next steps during critical bridge management
- Identify issues and problems and draw conclusions based on data, take action consistent with facts, constraints and probable consequences
- Recognize and consistently react to situations that require you to be proactive
- Accurately assess and apply severity standards to network impairments and failures
- Accurate and consistent ability to assess and make decisions with regard to resource prioritization
- Deliver consistent and superior customer experience
- Keep all Division, Regional leadership aware of escalations and resolution status
- Secures customer acknowledgement of resolution for escalated customer reported events
- Demonstrates active listening skills. Ensures mutual understanding and effective communication of information. Represents the company in a positive, professional manner. Minimizes need for further customer escalation.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights, weekend, holidays, variable schedule(s) and mandatory overtime as business dictates
- Analyzes power supply monitor and all designated plant operations tools and systems and monitors for alerts.
- Generates tickets for items requiring additional attention in preparation for routing; includes correlation of pending CRs as appropriate and adjusting IVR settings as appropriate.
- Provides technical assistance to lower-level technicians.
- Coordinates with other roles, inside and outside the Excellence in Operations (XOC) department, including issues where HFC issues are suspected and when unclear if multi-node issues are HFC or headend related.
- Isolates Video, High Speed Internet, and Telephony problems by correlating information from network surveillance equipment, diagnostics tools, and reported information to accurately direct fix organizations and personnel to most likely source of problem
- Enters data into trouble ticketing system to document problems, including diagnostic results and multiple product correlation, as well as escalation and repair performance information.
- Escalates outage events and/or impairments to the appropriate individuals and organizations when not resolved in the prescribed amount of time. Escalates to appropriate fix agency, as necessary, when pre-defined meantimes to repair metrics are in jeopardy.
- Tracks scheduled network maintenance activities in applicable tools, analyzing the duration and potential impact to customers and ensuring they are consistent with approved times for these activities.
- Manages communications throughout resolution with customer, field staff, and any internal staff as needed.
- Reviews and tracks scheduled maintenance (planned outages) using defined procedures so that each affected area receives notice as required. Maintains and monitors multiple queues through TTS and CSG. Isolates and/or identifies network versus headend issues
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- High School or Equivalent
- Generally requires 0-2 years related experience.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Associates degree or equivalent technical training or experience a plus
- Must have a minimum of 1-3 years' experience in Network Operations Center Technical Support or similar role
- Must have demonstrated proficiency in trouble shooting, analyzing and problem solving
- Must be self-driven with the ability to successfully work and promote inclusiveness in small groups
- Must be an excellent communicator (both written and verbal) with a natural aptitude for dealing with people
- Must possess strong customer communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly with customers and technical personnel in high stress situations
- Must have a basic understanding of network monitoring concepts and management tools
- Must demonstrate and support culture of safe work habits
- Must have thorough knowledge of Comcast products and services
- Must recognize and adapt to individual learning styles
- Must possess diligence and attention to detail along with an ability to multi-task and prioritize appropriately
- Must be eager and quick to learn, be a clear communicator and must be able to use their initiative to tackle a broad range of problems
- Must possess strong analytical skills and able to collate and interpret data from various sources
- Must be able to confidently and effectively able to deliver presentations
- Must have demonstrated and disciplined time management skills
- Must possess a general understanding of relevant cable concepts, terms, theories and definitions
- Must have a general knowledge of Digital technology, conversions and compression a plus
- QAM modulation a plus
- Digital signal quality concepts a plus
- DOCSIS standards a plus
- MPEG & Video On Demand Technology a plus
- Must possess proficient typing skills from home row with consistency and accuracy, consistently operate keyboard, mouse, computer and phone
- Must communicate verbally with technicians and customers by phone and in person
- Must be able to be stationary for extended periods of time
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer