Waste Management Rail Foreman in Fairport, New York
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
The Foreman is responsible for performing a wide range of rail operations tasks supporting intermodal rail operations. Under minimal supervision, acts as a lead member of the rail crew. This position is diverse and job duties may vary on a daily basis.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and may vary by location.
- Performs and directs all duties in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules and Occupational and Safety Health Act (OSHA) requirements.
- Ensures practical awareness of rail crew concerning issues of health, safety and the environment; cooperates with emergency teams to anticipate and deal with any hazardous and/or unusual situations (spills and line leaks, inclement weather, acts of vandalism, etc.).
- Reads, understands, and applies information such as, lockout/tagout procedures, safety rules, job hazard analyses, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Assigns day-to-day tasks to site personnel, rail material handlers and rail truck drivers, labors, etc. Monitors work, leads and guides personnel.
- Proficiency in completing job related paperwork in a timely manner
- Operates rail equipment as needed. Performs similar duties as those supervised or perform more difficult or skilled task or assist in their performance.
- Ensures proper execution of daily tasks.
- Completes and delivers daily reports to Site Manager.
- Assists Site Manager in pre-planning job activities to ensure availability of materials and personnel.
- Communicates clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing; as well as communicates clearly whether two-way radio or face to face.
- Anticipates typical problems, identifies potential or recurring problems, and takes appropriate action. Troubleshoots equipment and assists in diagnosing problem areas.
- Performs general work associated with rail operations
- Collaborates with workers and managers to solve work-related problems
- Able to train other employees
- Performs other duties as assigned.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
Guides and directs rail crew of 1-10 employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Not required.
- Experience: Three years of relevant work experience performing rail related tasks.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid Driver’s License
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Proficiency as an operator of rail equipment
- Must be at least 18 years of age
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects greater than _ pounds most of the work day;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the work day;
Normal setting for this job is: at the rail site
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability.As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more!Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days.Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Job: Labor General/Skilled/Trade
Title: Rail Foreman
Location: New York-Fairport
Requisition ID: 17012810