WindStream Communications Specialist I-ERC Data Tech in Fairport, New York
General Summary: This position is responsible for tier 1 support of Windstream Wide Area Network (WAN) products and data services.
Job Responsibilities: - Answer and assist internal/external Customer calls within a NOC environment. - Identify, troubleshoot and resolve network and enterprise customer issues. - Responsible for managing and maintaining individual ticket queue.
Planning Activities: - Utilize time wisely. Dynamically balance call and ticket workload as needed. - Utilize documentation to constantly augment knowledge of Windstream products and services. - The ERC is staffed 24/7/365 and employees will be scheduled accordingly to ensure ticket volume is addressed.
- Fundamental understanding of the OSI model and the ability to apply concepts while troubleshooting individual customer reports/. /Understanding of IP Networking including, but not limited to, IPV4, IPV6, NAT, PAT and sub-netting.
- Technician must understand multiple access levels within hardware devices and be able to issue commands via several different methods (telnet, SSH, RDP, GUI applications). A Level I Technician is expected to be able to connect to, look at, and troubleshoot in WAN and managed LAN devices. They are also required to be able to look at and verify configurations in devices, such as routers, along with making basic configuration changes.
- Technician must be able to multi-task via multiple circuit databases, ticketing systems, and remote access servers. A Level I Technician needs to be able build out and put on paper circuit designs based on information contained within multiple different circuit and support information databases.
- Ability to speak competently in regards to customer local networks is important. New Windstream products are providing completely hosted solutions where a Level I Technician will be the customer’s direct LAN support.
- Communication of complex technical situations to customers occurs on a regular basis and technicians need to be able to distill the issues down into understandable terms for proper referral to the customer’s vendor. Technicians also need to be able to work with customer’s technical vendors and provide end of line support for issues identified to be caused by the customer’s LAN vs the Windstream network.
Problem Solving Activities: - Assist in the resolution of faults identified by network monitoring systems. - Provide information to level II’s to help facilitate the determination, coordination and resolution of issues between departments.
Essential Skills: - Written/verbal/troubleshooting and good interpersonal skills. - Customer relations skills, listening and communication - Demonstrate an excellent technical understanding of a broad range of data products and expertise in diagnostics, software applications and problem solving. Knowledge pertaining to deploying, supporting, and troubleshooting of LAN/WAN issues. - Knowledge in T1 DACS and MUX equipment - Ability and understanding of reading CLR/DLR’s - Knowledge of facility types and specifications (DSL, DS1, DS3, Metro-E, Ethernet, NNI) - DNS knowledge
Preferred Skills: - Advanced working knowledge in troubleshooting CISCO, Juniper, Alcatel, and Adtran devices - Knowledge of ATM and Frame Relay, L3VPN, MPLS, VOIP, IP, and other associated protocols (minimum of 2 years’ experience) - Understanding of service provisioning process and circuit design - Net , JNCIA, or any equivalent Juniper certifications - CCNA or equivalent work experience. - BA or BS in Information Technology. - Knowledge of SNMP, NetFlow and similar network monitoring methods.
Minimum Requirements: High school diploma or equivalent and 4 years experience with 3 years directly related to the job. College hours or a college degree may be substituted for some experience as deemed appropriate
Primary Location: *US-New York-Fairport
Job Category: *Customer Service
EEO Statement: Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.
Requisition ID: 17002827