Northwell Health Practice Office Supervisor in Great Neck, New York
Req Number 001F3Y
Job Category General Clerical/Secretarial
Supervises and coordinates non-clinical staff, administratively support clinical staff, and daily operations of practice(s) for a Department/Division or Service Line. Performs diversified administrative responsibilities in the areas of Business Operations, Financial Management, Human Resource Management, Information Management, Organizational Governance, Patient Care Systems, Quality Management and Risk Management.
- Business Operations
Supervises business functions (i.e. appointment scheduling, patient pre-registration/ registration, insurance verification, referral management/pre-authorization, co-pay collection, charge entry and capture activities) to ensure processes are operationally efficient and effective.
• Coordinates daily operations and overall accountability of staff.
• Reviews operational reports and collaborates with administrative/revenue cycle management to monitor key indicators such as arrivals, no-shows, cancellations, bumps, patient cycle time, and appointment lag.
• Ensures adequate inventory of supplies
• Implements established strategic plans and objectives based on the mission and vision.
• Supports clinical staff, administratively.
• Analyzes, recommends, implements and monitors approved, compliant work-flow changes.
- Financial Management
Manages site(s) in a fiscally responsible manner.
• Operates within the context of an established budget and monitors budgetary variances.
• Ensures front-end and revenue cycle operations are followed (i.e. co-pay collection, denial management, insurance verification, missing charges, and other key functions are handled in an accurate and timely manner)
• Ensures strict compliance with internal controls for cash management.
- Human Resource Management
Engages workforce to obtain high performance.
• Supervises, hires, trains, disciplines and evaluates the performance of non-clinical staff.
• Identifies staffing needs and skill mix, and manages appropriate staffing for practice site(s); oversees scheduling (vacation, holidays, and medical leave of absence) to ensure adequate coverage.
• Prioritizes, assigns and monitors staff to optimize operational service.
• Fosters a culture of learning and development.
• Coordinates workforce related activities for recruitment and retention of staff.
• Ensures employee satisfaction and engagement.
• Maintains employees’ departmental file
• Manages the timekeeping/payroll process.
- Information Management
Manages information in and out of the practice(s)/hospital/site.
• Participates in technology implementation plans.
• Encourages communication between staff, physicians and hospital to enhance team dynamics.
• Reviews patient communication procedures.
- Organizational Governance
Upholds and communicates the mission, vision and values of the organization.
• Manages and maintains relationships between Department/Division or Service Line, staff and stakeholders.
- Patient Care Systems
Upholds and promotes value of patient experience by putting the patient first.
• Ensures patient-centered approach to care focusing on safety, quality, and operational efficiencies.
• Maintains referral relationships for practice(s).
- Quality Management
Ensures participation in quality initiatives to improve healthcare and ensure patient safety. Aligns programs with hospital quality management initiatives if applicable.
• Coordinates participation in mandatory and non-mandatory performance improvement initiatives at the practice level.
• Implements and monitors changes required related to various regulatory agency standards and/or public health law; manages compliance with Joint Commission, Department of Health, Public Health Laws, Institutional and Departmental rules and regulations.
• Reviews Policy and Procedure Manual, and makes recommendations for updates, as appropriate.
- Risk Management
Ensures staff adheres to Corporate Compliance Program, HIPAA and other regulatory standards.
• Ensures compliance related to billing, coding, and documentation standards.
• Executes the disaster recovery plans to ensure patient safety and business continuity during emergencies.
- Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
• Associates Degree in Business, Health Care Administration or related field, required. Bachelors degree, preferred.
• Minimum of five (5) years progressive office administrative experience in healthcare and/or ambulatory practice setting including two (2) years leadership responsibility such as leading/guiding; monitoring/coaching/training; scheduling/ prioritizing/ assigning; analyzing, implementing and monitoring Quality Control/ Performance Improvement/Budgets; and/or coordinating Inventory/Information/ Projects, required. Supervisory experience, preferred.
• Based on departmental operating requirements, bi-lingual communication skills maybe required.