Verizon Cable Splicing Technician in Hunt Valley, Maryland
Weekly Rate: $601.50 - $1512.50
As a Cable Splicing Technician you’ll add, place, remove, reroute, set up, rack, splice, transfer, repair, rearrange, bond, pressurize, and test aerial, underground, and buried cable. You’ll also mount, cut-in, and repair cable terminal and load cases. Rearrange service drops, aerial and buried jumper wire and step poles. Test, locate and repair defects in wires for copper cables and fibers for fiber optic cables, using electrical and mechanical testing apparatus.
Read and interpret engineering plans, vendor specifications for the installation and repair of optic and electronic equipment, and interacting with the Engineering Group.
Make necessary preparations required for splicing, rearranging and terminate cable conductors.Perform splicing operations in connection with the installation, rearrangement, and repair of outside plant facilities. This includes fiber/copper cable, wire, terminals, loop carrier electronics and light guide facilities and various fiber optic applications which may be aloft, underground, or buried.
Locate and clear troubles in outside plant facilities (copper and/or fiber).
Determine air flow and pressure in cables – aerial and underground.Preparing cables for pressurization and maintaining cable pressure.
Using test equipment to check for gas in manholes and may have to empty water from manholes.
Occasionally work with torches and lead sleeves and iron cases.Place and remove protective covering over sheath openings.
Work aloft; climb ladders and poles; enter tunnels, buildings, trenches, crawl spaces, manholes, and other confined spaces to accomplish job tasks.
May work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Perform light digging operations as required.
Operate and maintain necessary trucks and equipment needed to perform work operations in a safe manner.Includes operating aerial lifts (buckets) and hydraulic lift ladders mounted on trucks.
Test, locate and repair defects in wires for copper cables and fibers for fiber optic cables and digital carrier systems, using electrical and mechanical testing apparatus.
Install, repair, inspect and maintain inside cables, wires and plug-in equipment to connect telecommunication systems and equipment, including dark fiber and fiber and/or equipment including but not limited to routers, video set-top boxes and PC related hardware.
Promote the sale of services and products which the company is permitted to provide.
Contact customers face-to-face to notify them of work being performed on their lines, and when service is restored. Also communicates Company policy and bills customer when appropriate.
Read and interpret vendor specifications for optic and electronic equipment. Identifying and meeting individual customer requirements on provisioning and/or repair contacts.
Identify data base discrepancies by performing proactive preventive maintenance and providing corrected information to appropriate individuals.
Daily completion of all related administrative paperwork, time sheets, DOT log, etc.
Basic computer skills, working with customers’ computer and equipment.
Perform additional duties and tasks as required by the Company.
• Must meet required test results for this position in accordance with company policy.
• Must meet Verizon medical standards for the job. Must meet weight restrictions to comply with OSHA/Company safety standards.
• Ability to perceive differences in wire and cable colors.
• Must be able to move and/or lift items such as ladders, cable and other objects weighing up to 100 pounds; wear a tool belt and work aloft.
• A valid state driver’s license is required. Must have ability to drive a vehicle with manual gearshift and meet applicable federal and state standards for operating the size vehicles covered by this job title. Where a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required, you must pass an alcohol and drug test. Where a CDL is required, you will receive related, company-provided Department of Transportation (D.O.T) training. Upon completion of D.O.T training, you must qualify on D.O.T’s CDL written and skills qualifications tests to retain the job.
• A Security background investigation may be required.
• Job site visits will generally be granted only where a contractual obligation exists.
• Availability to work scheduled tours designated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and/or the needs of the business. May be required to work evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and emergency call outs as the needs of the business necessitate. Non-scheduled days will be required as the needs of the business necessitate.
Verizon Job Fit Test B Field Operations Assessment Non-Management SI
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.