Indian Health Service Security Guard in Inscription House, Arizona
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located at KSU - Inscription House Health Center, Inscription House, AZ. The duty station consists of the Service Unit facilities including the Kayenta Health Center (KHC), Inscription House Health Center (IHHC), IHS Federal Housing at KHC, IHHC Federal Housing at Shonto, AZ. Responsible for protective services in guarding government buildings, property and safeguarding occupants, patients and visitors in and around the clinic and the Federal Housing Area.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note: Competition for Security Guard positions is restricted by law to persons entitled to Veteran's Preference as long as such applicants are available for appointment. For applicants applying under the provision of the Excepted Service Examining Plan, Consideration for this position is limited to applicants entitled to Veteran's preference. If there are less than three (3) Veterans available, non-preference eligibility may be considered.
- Monitors the identification of individuals entering controlled areas; refers persons who lack proper credentials to a control point to arrange access.
- Checks alarms, locks, fences, gates or other barriers, patrols perimeters to detect fault fences and detection equipment, patrols the clinic, outside the building and surrounding grounds to prevent theft or damage to federal property.
- Pursues and detains person fleeing a disturbance and/or incident or attempting to resist detainment.
- Performs coordinator duties involving passing of directions and information to Police Officers coordinating emergency responses between security, fire and other emergency units. Performs emergency traffic duties such as enforcing speed limits, directing traffic and controlling vehicular pedestrian movement.
- Prepares various written reports such as accident reports, complaints, witness statements, and unsafe conditions of materials or locations and personal property.
- Occasional Travel
- To attend meetings and trainings
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
All groups of qualified individuals
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- * * ### Qualifications
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Candidates must have had 26 weeks of general experience and 26 weeks of specialized experience to qualify for the GS-04 level.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE (FOR POSITIONS AT GS-4 AND BELOW): Experience such as administrative, technical, clerical, military, or other work that involved following written procedures, rules, or regulations in contacts with coworkers, supervisors, or members of the public to provide a service, respond to inquiries, or obtain information.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE (FOR POSITIONS AT GS-4 AND ABOVE):
Experience such as work with a Federal, State, municipal local, or private protective organization that involved the protection of property such hazards as fire, theft, damage, accident, or trespass; or maintaining order and protecting life. Such experience must have provided a knowledge of protective systems and techniques. Acceptable experience includes service in the Armed Services or Coast Guard that involved the performance of guard duties on a regular or intermittent basis. For Security Guard positions in a hospital setting, experience as a psychiatric nursing assistant or a similar position safeguarding patients is qualifying.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE:
Successfully completed two years above high school at an accredited college or university in an subject is qualifying-OR-
Successful completion of training in an accredited technical school that covered subjects such as physical security procedures, local laws, or investigative techniques is considered qualifying for specialized experience at the GS-4 level on a month-for-month basis.
INVESTIGATION OF FITNESS:
A character investigation may be conducted on applicants selected for employment. The purpose of such an investigation is to secure evidence of the candidate's honesty, integrity, general character, and loyalty to the U.S. Government. Such investigations will be conducted under the security requirements of the hiring agency.
The duties of this position require moderate to arduous physical exertion and/or duties of a hazardous nature. The following medical requirements apply to all applicants, good near and distant vision, ability to distinguish basic colors, and ability to hear the conversational voice. Agencies may establish additional, job-related physical or medical requirements provided that the specific position involves the arduous or hazardous duties to which the requirement relate.
Applicants and employees must have the capacity to perform the essential functions of the position without risk to themselves or others. In most instances, a specific medical condition or impairment will not automatically disqualify an applicant or employee. A medical condition or impairment is disqualifying only if the condition, for good medical reason, precludes assignment to or warrants restriction from the duties of the specific position. For some positions, the loss or impairment of a specific function may be compensated for by the satisfactory use of a prosthesis or mechanical aid. Reasonable accommodations may include, but is not limited to the use of assistive devices, job modification or restructuring, provision of readers and interpreters, or adjusted work schedules.
MOTOR VEHICLE OPERATOR REQUIREMENTS:
- Incumbent must possess a current State Driver License to operate GSA vehicle.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, July 28, 2017
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Must possess a valid, current State Driver's License to operate a GSA vehicle.
- Expected to work rotating shifts, weekends, and/or holidays and is subject to callback and emergency overtime.
- May be required from time-to-time in an emergent situation to work at any of the various locations throughout the Kayenta Service Unit, which includes Kayenta Health Center, Inscription House Health Center, Dennehotso Clinic, and Kayenta School Clinic.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474610800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-28
Salary: $29,356 to $38,158 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 04
Series: 0085 Security Guard
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-KA-1930156-ESEP/MP
Control number: 474610800