CSX Service Desk Systems Management Specialist I in JACKSONVILLE, Florida
Title: Service Desk Systems Management Specialist I
Location: United States-FL-Jacksonville
Job Number: 044213
Proactively monitor and troubleshoot applications and system hardware/software in a complex, dynamic environment with multiple mainframes, open systems, and distributed platforms.
Responsible for communicating the impact and severity of service interruptions and escalating to the appropriate manager or support team in agreement with negotiated service levels.
Performs rapid assessment of system alerts and determines the best course of action to restore service. Provides direct support to CSX Technology and CSX Technology customers with application and/or network problems. Performs tasks associated with Incident, Problem, and Change Management processes. Each Specialist is accountable for providing excellent customer service and maintaining system availability.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Isolates, diagnoses and responds to alerts within the documented guidelines. Utilizes commands to activate controls on computer and peripheral equipment to integrate and operate equipment. Monitors the system for equipment failure or errors in performance. Must notify supervisor or computer maintenance technicians of equipment malfunctions and/or application issues. Resolves common program error messages by identifying and correcting the problems or terminating the program. Utilizes spreadsheet programs and other types of software to load and manipulate data and to produce reports. Oversees the operation of computer hardware systems, including coordinating and scheduling changes that impact the business. Control the console of mainframe and midtier devices and must maintain a working knowledge of system commands.
- Proactively monitors and documents trends to reduce customer/business impact. Includes hardware/software/problems such as operational discrepancies, job aborts, and network issues. Maintains a variety of documentation, including operations procedures.
- Communicates with customers, business partners and vendors within and outside of CSX Technology via email, phone and automated systems. A major component of the communication involves the facilitation of bridge calls, and promptly notifying the business (MIR3).
- Working knowledge of Change, Incident, Configuration Management and its ITIL processes / tools. Expected to remain current with changing technologies. This includes training on new equipment and software, learning new or modified procedures, reading technical manuals and taking advantage of online training opportunities.
- Provide excellent customer service when communicating with the user community.
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
- High School Diploma/GED from an accredited institution
- 3 or more years of experience in Service Desk Systems, Console Operator, Application Monitoring, Computer Operations, or Customer service.
Equivalent Minimum Qualifications
- Associates Degree from accredited institution in Information Technology or related major field or study.
- 1 or more years of experience in Service Desk Systems, Console Operator, Application Monitoring, Computer Operations, or Customer service
- Bachelor's Degree/4-year Degree
- 2-11 months or more years of experience in Service Desk Systems, Console Operator, application monitoring or Computer operations, Customer service.
Knowledge and Skills
Display superb customer service skills and capabilities to include all forms of customer interface.
Have experience with some or all of the phases of business process and systems monitoring.
Document issues/symptoms and utilize knowledge database for service restoration and problem analysis.
- General knowledge of Request Mgt. and ability to use Service Mgt. tools to accurately enter Requests/Incidents.
- Experienced with some / all of the following z/OS, JES2, CICS, IMS, DB2, CA/7, TSO, Windows OS & applications, Ionix, VMS, AIX, Solaris, Unix, VTAM, Netview, Business Objects.
- Ability to type 30 words per minute accurately.
- Experience with Incident Management. This includes facilitation, escalation and documentation for incident(s).
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Team member on an AITC DR team.
The CSX Competency Framework is the foundation of our Talent Strategy and is what drives CSX performance. CSX accordingly selects and develops talent based on each of the following competencies: analyze issues and make effective decisions, advance the business, engage, coach, and build a diverse workforce, build partnerships, improve service quality and processes, execute effectively, demonstrate personal leadership, and demonstrate functional and technical agility.
- Willing and able to work different shifts as assigned in a 24/7 operations (including weekends and holidays)
- Work hours may vary in length and schedule (may include a non-standard work week)
- Need to be available to report to work with two-hour advance notice
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities. In line with our commitment to safety, the applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete a background check and drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 190 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
At CSX, two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster. Here
Click here to view the OFCCP pay transparency provision information. Here
CSX Transportation and its subsidiaries are not seeking outside assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from staffing agencies or search firms for employment or contractor opportunities. Any resumes submitted by an outside vendor to any employee at CSX via e-mail, Internet, or directly to hiring managers without a valid written search agreement in place with the Talent Acquisition / HR department will be deemed the sole property of CSX. No placement fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired as a result of the referral, or through other means.