Shell Financial Controller in london, United Kingdom
Auto req ID 55888BR
Job Title Financial Controller
Country of Work Location United Kingdom
City, State (if applicable) london
Work Location London - Shell Centre
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
As controller for a number of Shell’s holding companies, you will be part of a team recognised for its excellence in financial reporting and provision of financial insight; for its focused accounting advice and oversight; and for innovative, disciplined delivery of outcomes. The team is structured so that each Financial Controller is responsible for a mix of Shell legacy and BG legacy entities, allowing some capacity to undertake project work.
Specific accountabilities will include
• Working closely with the Group treasury, tax and legal functions to ensure the relevant company assets are managed and hedged, and dividends are executed in line with treasury policy
• Providing accounting advice and guidance to project teams on a variety of transactions to ensure that all items are appropriately reported and understood. Your advice and insight will be sought and relied upon by a number of key internal stakeholders. This will require not only a good understanding of the accounting issues, but also the wider implications of transactions and corporate structures
• Ensuring efficient and proactively controlled reporting processes are in place to support the quarterly Group reporting and annual statutory reporting processes, liaise directly with finance operations teams within our shared business service centres to maintain effective working relations and continuous improvement
• Seamlessly delivering the transition of BG entity activities within the role, balancing robust control with implementing best practice aspects from both Shell and BG
• Driving ongoing process improvement to allow maximum time to focus on critical areas where you add the most value
• Managing ad hoc projects both inside and outside of your areas of expertise, in line with business needs and efficiency objectives, and influencing stakeholders of all levels across the world
• Becoming an expert in certain treasury and exposure management matters, being sought out by stakeholders for practical implementation advice
• This is a challenging and varied role, giving a unique overview of different areas of Shell’s businesses. You’ll be expected to use your creativity and interpersonal skills to develop the most effective solutions to accounting/reporting issues, and share knowledge and best practices with the rest of the team.
You will be a qualified accountant (ACA or equivalent). As well as having IFRS or similar technical accounting expertise, you will have the ability to generate innovative solutions to varied and unique accounting issues and effectively communicate advice. With your overview of finance you will be able to take the lead in ensuring individual entity and group needs are met. You will appreciate a working environment that focuses on constant improvement, personal ownership, professional development, efficiency and impact on the bottom line.
Confident and self-motivated, your outstanding interpersonal and communication skills mean you will be able to liaise effectively with all levels of management and other businesses. You will enjoy contributing to and participating in the team and will be willing to get involved in a variety of projects. You will have proven experience in analysing complex issues and evaluating potential solutions in a timely fashion, balancing priorities effectively to ensure deadlines are met.
No. of Positions 1
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Removal Date 03-Nov-2017