Waste Management Landfill Gas Processing Plant Manager in Louisville, Kentucky
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
With more than 130 energy projects using naturally occurring landfill gas to power homes and businesses, WM Renewable Energy produces over 550 megawatts of electricity every year – enough to power more than 440,000 homes. This is equivalent to offsetting over 2.2 million tons of coal per year.
I. Job Summary
Manage the Landfill Gas to Energy Facility to maximize production, while ensuring safe work practices, environmental compliance, timely maintenance, compliance with contracts, and coordination with the landfill management and operations. This role acts as a plant owner, and is available whenever necessary to meet the objectives of the role and the needs of the facility.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- By thorough evaluation of operational data, be responsible for planning a proper course of action and have complete ownership for managing production capacity in efforts to reduce plant operating expenses while limiting equipment downtime without impairment. Inspects ongoing activities for safety and environmental compliance, and for adherence to Standard Operating Procedures. Reports and develops recommendations for corrective actions in any instances of reoccurring shutdowns or equipment de-rating in order to notify WMRE operations managers whether further analysis is necessary.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all operational requirements of the air permit, which may include CYCLE task tracking, documentation of compliance with standard operating procedures, performing emissions tests, and adjusting equipment to meet emissions limits. Represents WMRE during third party testing and regulatory inspections.
- Secures, manages, and coordinates all 3rd party vendors for scheduled plant maintenance, unscheduled down time, compliance, and well-field issues. Regularly communicates this with the Market Area Gas Operations Manager (MAGOM) and/or WMRE Operations Manager.
- Manages various relationships with power/gas purchasers as a first point of contact, with respect to facility operations and compliance with scheduling requirements. Complies with power purchase agreements, gas sales agreements, interconnect agreements, or other contracts.
- Inspects plant machinery and equipment. Repairs, maintains, and services all equipment in accordance with the facility Standard Operating Procedures, equipment maintenance manuals, and WMRE policies and training. Must also be knowledgeable to handle non-routine repairs or issues that may arise and require sound, immediate judgment without direct supervision.
- Implements WM and WMRE safety policies and practices for all work activities, and ensures these practices are followed by other WM staff, vendors, contractors, and visitors entering the facility.
- Completes all mandatory training activities for both safety and operational training as assigned by supervisor.
- Procures plant supplies and replacement equipment in an efficient manner by identifying needs in advance, managing vendors, and working within WMRE guidelines as well as being responsible for the annual budget.
- Promptly responds to call-outs of plant shutdowns during non-business hours to identify the cause of the shutdown and rectify/diagnose through appropriate repairs or adjustments to return the plant to operation while consulting with WMRE operations managers (as needed). This role is given discretion to judge the situation and respond accordingly without management intervention, until needed.
- Identifies backup staff in coordination with the WMRE regional manager, and assigns call-out schedules to ensure that there is at least one plant manager available 24/7/365 for plant shutdowns and emergencies. For self and backup, adjusts daily or weekly on-site presence at plant during business hours to reflect time spent for call-outs, with consideration that all other daily and monthly duties must be completed on a timely basis.
- Maintains the facility spare inventory and provides a written inventory count twice annually.
- Schedules and conducts plant tours as requested to support good community relations. Represent WMRE as the on-site technical expert on production of renewable energy from landfill gas. Participates actively in developing and implementing ongoing public relations between the plant and community to ensure favorable outlook of the facility from both customer and community.
- Participates in public forums to support business development and community education. Ensures the potential for use of the facility as a marketing platform and supervises such activities. Maintains effective relationships with key political and community decision makers in the region.
- Completes special assignments/tasks as required by WMRE Operations Manager, Market Area Gas Operations Manager, or Landfill District Manager.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited)
- Experience: 5 years of relevant work experience diagnosing and repairing internal combustion engines and cooling systems.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Must have valid driver’s license
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Fundamental knowledge of computer data entry and interpretation.
- Must be able to successfully manage fiduciary responsibilities.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 100 lbs.
- Must be able to travel up to 15% with overnight stays.
- Must be able to diagnose and repair DC circuits 12/24 volts.
- Basic knowledge of 120/240/480 3ph volt AC circuits.
- Understand concepts of 4160 volt circuits
- Must be familiar with basic principles of building maintenance.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: shop/power plant environment.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Title: Landfill Gas Processing Plant Manager
Requisition ID: 17010708