Northwell Health Perfusionist (Manhasset) in Manhasset, New York
Req Number 001127
Job Category Cardiology
Assembles, primes, re-circulates and tests the extra-corporeal circuit prior to initiation of heart-lung bypass. Monitors and observes the operations of the heart-lung machine during procedure.
1. Assembles, primes, re-circulates and tests the extracorporeal circuit prior to initiation of heart-lung bypass. In consultation with the surgeon, modifies extracorporeal circuit and/or incorporates the use of special equipment to accommodate operative procedure to be performed.
2. Monitors and observes the operation of the heart-lung machine. Based on the patient’s physiologic parameters makes adjustments as required to maintain adequate perfusion. Obtains blood samples during procedures.
3. Responsible for the administration of medications, blood components, and anesthetic agents via the extracorporeal circuit.
4. Performs advanced blood therapies including PRP, Platelet Gel, hemofiltration and autotransfusion.
5. Maintains adequate record keeping during the surgical procedure.
6. Disassembles and cleans the perfusion equipment following termination of the procedure.
7. Order and maintains adequate supplies from various departments (e.g., Central Supply, Warehouse, Pharmacy, etc.).
8. Performs related duties, as required.
REQUIREDEXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Bachelor’s of Science Degree, required.
Graduate (or currently enrolled) in an accredited cardiovascular perfusion education program, required.
· Meets all criteria (including 75 supervised clinical perfusions) for taking the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion (ABCP) Perfusion Basic Science Examination (PBSE), required.
· Eligible for (including 50 independent clinical perfusions) and pass the ABCP Clinical Applications in Perfusion Examination (CAPE) within twelve months from Date of Hire.
· Ability to operate heart-lung machine and related equipment.