Comcast Data Engineer in Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Data engineering and data science skills combined with the demands of a high volume, highly-visible analytics platform make this an exciting challenge for the right candidate.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly-motivated team environment?
As a Data engineer in Data Platform Engineering and Research (DPER) team, you will research develop, support and deploy solutions using real-time distributed computing architectures. You will also employ your skills to deliver insights into customer and network behavior on a rapidly-growing video-over-IP platform. The DPER data team is a fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does the data engineer work with?
Data software engineering is a diverse collection of professionals who work with a variety of teams ranging from other software engineering teams whose software integrates with analytics services, service delivery engineers who provide support for our product, testers, operational stakeholders with all manner of information needs, and executives who rely on data for data based decision making.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
Develop systems capable of processing millions of events per second and multi-billions of events per day, providing both a real time and historical view into the operation of our wide-array of systems. Design collection and enrichment system components for quality, timeliness, scale and reliability. Work on high performance real time data stores and a massive historical data store using best-of-breed and industry leading technology. Design, develop, and apply advanced statistical methods and Machine Intelligence algorithms.
Where can you make an impact?
Comcast DPER is building the core components needed to drive the next generation of data platforms and data processing capability. Running this infrastructure, identifying trouble spots, and optimizing the overall user experience is a challenge that can only be met with a robust data architecture capable of providing insights that would otherwise be drowned in an ocean of data.
Success in this role is best enabled by a broad mix of skills and interests ranging from traditional distributed systems software engineering prowess to the multidisciplinary field of data science.
- Analyze massive amounts of data both real-time and batch processing
- Prototype ideas for new tools, products and services
- Employ rigorous continuous delivery practices managed under an agile software development approach
- Ensure a quality transition to production and solid production operation of the software
- Lead and mentor junior engineers
- Work collaboratively to deploy and operate our systems
- Help automate and streamline our operations and processes
- Build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in our dev, test and production environments
Here are some of the specific technologies we use:
- Spark (AWS EMR), AWS Lambda
- Spark Streaming and Batch
- Avro, Parquet
- MemSQL, Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB, RDBMS
- Caching Frameworks(ElasticCache)
- Elasticsearch, Beats, Logstash, Kibana
- Java, Scala, Go, Python, R
- Git, Maven, Gradle, Jenkins
- Rancher, Puppet, Docker, Ansible, Kubernetes
- Hadoop (HDFS, YARN, ZooKeeper, Hive), Presto
Skills & Requirements:
- 3 years programming experience
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Statistics or related discipline
- Experience in software development of large-scale distributed systems including proven track record of delivering backend systems that participate in a complex ecosystem
- Knowledge in data related technologies and open source frameworks preferred
- Good current knowledge of Unix/Linux environments
- Knowledge of network engineering and security
- Test-driven development/test automation, continuous integration, and deployment automation
- Enjoy working with data analysis, data quality and reporting
- Good communicator, able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly.
- Great design and problem solving skills
- Adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Keen attention to detail and high level of commitment
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets
About Comcast DPER (Data Platform Engineering and Research):
Data Platforms Engineering and Research (DPER) is a result driven, data platform research and engineering team responsible for the delivery of multi-tenant data infrastructure and platforms necessary to support our data-driven culture and organization. DPER has an overarching objective to gather, organize, and make sense of Comcast data with intention to reveal business and operational insight, discover actionable intelligence, enable experimentation, empower users, and delight our stakeholders. Members of the DPER team define and leverage industry best practices, work on extremely large scale data problems, design and develop resilient and highly robust distributed data organizing and processing systems and pipelines as well as research, engineer, and apply data science and machine intelligence disciplines.
Comcast is anEOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employerand all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex or any other legally protected category.