Northwell Health Patient Health Coach - SBIRT in New Hyde Park, New York
Req Number 001EVH
Job Category Clinical Professionals
Provides interventional coaching through implementation of sustainable Screening Brief Intervention and Referral Treatment (SBIRT), for patients facing alcohol and substance abuse problems. Collaborates with management and team members to ensure delivery of high-quality health coaching services.
- Provides direct patient support services according to SBIRT protocols.
• Screens patients who are potentially facing alcohol and substance abuse problems.
• Delivers initial motivational intervention and brief counseling services to patients that screen positive for problematic substance abuse.
• Provides decision aids, worksheets, questionnaires and other related tools to patients.
• Collaborates with case management team in developing appropriate referral and intervention plans for patients.
• Assesses patient behaviors, social needs, and related factors that may increase risk for other health problems.
• Maintains contact with patients, their families, and clinical teams to foster strong partnerships with patients.
- Participates in the development and implementation of patient coaching processes with clinical and non-clinical team members.
• Assists in planning and developing outreach strategies to notify clinicians and patients of the goals and objectives of the SBIRT program.
• Evaluates ongoing coaching strategies to identify potential improvement areas and recommends alternative approaches.
• Collaborates with team members to ensure patient identification, referral and coaching delivery processes are well integrated into clinical workflow.
• Ensures appropriate referrals are made to SBIRT program following standardized algorithms.
Documents patient screening, intervention and coaching activities according to program policies and procedures. Reviews and identifies deficiencies (ineligible participant, missed follow-ups, potential medical problems, etc.) and takes corrective action, as required.
Prepares qualitative and quantitative reports related to program activities.
Participates in related training and professional development to develop competencies in patient intervention, counseling, and referral activities.
Assists with special administrative tasks and projects to facilitate better patient care and program evaluation, as required.
Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
• Bachelor’s Degree in Health Studies, required. Degree in Social Work, Nursing or related clinical field, preferred.
• Minimum of two (2) years work experience in substance abuse counseling, health coaching, motivational interviewing or related field, required.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Excel, Word), required. Knowledge of statistical analysis software (SAS, SPSS), preferred.
• Knowledge of IRB and HIPPA regulations, preferred.
• Ability to communicate and interact effectively with patients and families of diverse cultural backgrounds. Bilingual, preferred.