Northwell Health TEMPORARY-Medical Office Assistant, NASSAU/SUFFOLK COUNTY in New Hyde Park, New York
Req Number 0018QL
Job Category General Clerical/Secretarial
Performs direct patient care under the supervision of a physician or appropriate clinician. Performs related clerical duties supporting operational needs.
- Prepares treatment rooms for patient examinations, ensuring cleanliness and availability of appropriate equipment and supplies.
*2. Interviews patient to obtain medical information and perform measurement and screening procedures.
• Prepares patient for examination and treatment.
• Obtains patient’s height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, head circumference, and other required vital statistics.
• Records findings in patient medical record and informs clinician of findings.
*3. Obtains specimens from patient, as directed by clinician.
• Collects blood, tissue, or other laboratory specimens. Completes requisitions, labels and routes specimens according to established procedures.
• Performs electrocardiograms (EKGs), as required.
*4. Assists clinician during examination, procedures and treatment, as required.
• Secures required supplies, tools and equipment for specific procedures.
• Ensures patient is appropriately draped and positioned.
• Provides requested instruments to clinician during procedure. Assists in positioning and holding patient, as required.
• Assists patient after examination, procedure or treatment.
*5. Prepares, sterilizes and calibrates equipment. Informs Supervisor of malfunctioning equipment.
*6. Strictly adheres to infection control standards in the performance of duties.
*7. Performs related clerical duties supporting operational needs.
• Participates in patient registration, as required. Processes insurance forms, certifications, physician orders, prescriptions, etc.
• Ensures required patient information and documentation is available in medical records.
• Schedules and confirms patient appointments.
• Places, receives and directs phone calls.
• Files, copies, and distributes documentation, as required.
- Performs related duties as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
• High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
• Successful completion of a six-month (6) to one (1) year course in Medical Assisting program, required.
• Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), preferred.
• Prior experience and demonstrated competence as a medical assistant, preferred.
• Data entry skills (80 kpm), required.
• Ability to communicate effectively. .