Kaiser Permanente Area Portfolio Leader (Sr. Director Performance Improvement) in Oakland, California
Responsible for facilitating the execution strategy, management, and implementation of the strategic portfolio of regional and medical center initiatives in partnership with the local leadership team. Serves as portfolio leader and advisor to the Area Manager and leadership team. Additionally, responsible for managing and deploying performance improvement methodology and resources sufficient to support the portfolio.
Essential Responsibilities: - Portfolio Oversight, Strategy, and Planning: Leads the implementation of the regional and medical center strategic priorities to achieve operational and clinical results.
Understands the organization's strategic aims and oversees the execution of complex, cross-functional projects to meet those aims.
Oversees the medical center's strategic portfolio of programs and projects in a coordinated way to obtain benefits and controls not available from managing them individually. Develops and maintains controls across a portfolio (cross-project schedules, budgets, risk/issue logs, status reports, etc.).
Builds the committee structure to lead, oversee and guide progress on the strategic portfolio.
Supports the expansion of the facility knowledge base with respect to the application of performance improvement methodology.
Facilitates project requests and assesses fit with available resources and skills, as well as strategic fit and value to company. Works with regional leaders and medical center leadership team to identify project staffing needs and assigns staff to projects across multiple programs and portfolios.
Advises on project portfolio, ensuring alignment with strategy and delivery of measurable results. Incorporates connection to robust operating plans with assigned timeframes and accountabilities for results.
Works with leaders to facilitate program success using appropriate metrics and methodologies to track milestones and outcomes.
Leadership and Influence: Partners with medical center executive leadership team to drive the achievement of the medical center's operational and clinical strategies.
- Exerts influence without accountability to drive stakeholders to adopt recommendations.
- Facilitates highly-sensitive conversations with stakeholders to drive them to reach agreements.
- Able to resolve complex issues and barriers that arise in the course of a project, resulting in successful completion of project objectives.
- Project Management, Performance Improvement, Data & Analytics, and Change Management: Can independently complete or guide others in solving issues where the root causes of a problem may not be well-understood, where a solution does not yet exist, and where significant stakeholder challenges must be overcome
- Can independently complete or guide others in completing project workplans, current state assessments, recommendations, change management plans, communications plans, testing plans, spread and scale plans, and sustainability plans.
- Works with teams to build and apply the appropriate processes and systems to ensure sustainability of improvement over time.
- Applies appropriate change management strategies and tools.
- Applies basic to advanced concepts, principles, theories and techniques to systematically approach performance improvement opportunities.
- Promotes incorporating successful practices from other locations.
- Assists facility, leadership team, and operational teams with using, collecting and analyzing data for decisions. Uses appropriate statistical process control methods to understand and interpret common cause and special cause variation for the leadership team.
- Reviews reliability of process redesign and viability of sustainability plans to execute on intended outcomes.
- People Development: Manages staff, provides guidance on professional development, and writes performance evaluations. Also works with matrixed staff in the context of projects.
Knowledge Management and Capability Building: Builds capabilities throughout the organization through training and coaching that results in measureable business outcomes.
Applies and teaches others to apply leading-practice methodologies (e.g., project management, performance improvement, change management, design thinking, data and analytics) to solve complex problems and incorporate the best solutions into operations.
Coaches, mentors, facilitates and guides teams and new Improvement Advisors
Partners with Organizational Development, Quality, UBT consultants, Finance and others to develop comprehensive portfolio management and performance improvement systems.
Qualifications: Basic Qualifications: Experience - Minimum of six (6) years of experience, including work related to strategic portfolio, program, project management and process improvement. - In lieu of six (6) years of experience, four (4) years of experience in a directly related field with a Master's degree. Education - Bachelor's degree required, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly health related field. - High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required. License, Certification, Registration - N/A
Additional Requirements: - Demonstrated track record of achieving measureable business results - Demonstrated ability to work with executives and senior managers to lead the execution of regional and medical center strategy - Demonstrated skills in leadership, teaching, facilitation, coaching and mentoring - Demonstrated experience in program and project management, performance improvement, change management, and data analytics methods and tools. - Knowledge of advanced improvement methods and tools such as advanced statistics, sustainability planning, spread and scale, rapid improvement events, management systems, business process management, change management, and human-centered design. - Strong critical thinking skills - Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
Preferred Qualifications: - One (1) year of experience in health care
Knowledge of hospital operations, The Joint Commission and other local, state, and federal regulations.
Performance improvement certification (e.g., Lean Six Sigma, IA)
Project management certification
Knowledge of management systems
Business Process Management
Human Centered Design
Master's degree preferred.
COMPANY Kaiser PermanenteTITLE Area Portfolio Leader (Sr. Director Performance Improvement)LOCATION Oakland, CAREQNUMBER 626305
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.