Comcast CUSTOMER FACING TECH - UN, Columbus Blvd. in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
- Performs routine troubleshooting calls: troubleshoots the plant through the distribution cable to the node in order to restore customer video, CHSI, or CDV as required. Must have the ability climb poles, ladders and operate aerial lifts 18 to 20 feet above ground, as determined by the system requirements. Must possess the ability to use basic cable test equipment. Performs work near power lines and electricity.
- Surveys the plant in order to ensure service availability to potential customers.
- Performs underground location of existing plant using system prints and cable locating equipment in order to prevent cable damage and service interruption. Must have the ability to read general system layouts from blueprints.
- Responds to and repairs service interruptions during regular business hours, shift work or when on-call as required. Normal work shift may include evenings and/or weekends. Must be available to work overtime including weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Performs CLI ride-out and track and repair leakage, as necessary. Works and travels in inclement weather.
- Performs construction maintenance duties such as: splices aerial/underground coaxial cable and equipment to restore cable plant to system specification; splices and activates new coaxial plant as required; repairs and/or replace damaged aerial/underground plant; and inspects, repairs and/or replaces power supplies as necessary. Must have the ability to use basic cable installation tools and
hand tools. Must have the ability to comply with safety procedures and requirements.
Lifts and carries loads of 70 lbs. or more.
- During the course of normal day-to-day activities: cleans, maintains and stocks vehicle and equipment in order to be prepared for daily responsibilities; completes associated paperwork with each job in a timely manner; properly operate and maintain tools and equipment; reports need for vehicle repair or service when required and/or prescribed; and reports any accidents, losses, injuries or property damage to supervisor and customer when appropriate. Drives company vehicle in a safe and responsible manner.
- Exposure to dogs and other animals, construction areas, and the public in general as required.
- Works in crawl spaces, attics, and permit required confined spaces. Exposure to moderate noise level.
- Must possess knowledge of basic mathematics, the ability to count and handle U.S. currency, and the ability to communicate with customers in a clear and straight forward manner.
- Troubleshoots the forward and return path in the drop from the tap to the customers equipment for multiple services. Must possess the ability to prioritize and organize effectively.
- Performs wall fish as required by the market (optional not included in national certification); perform installations adhering to Comcast procedures and safe work practices, NEC and NESC requirements, and local ordinances in order to provide services to the customer. Manipulates connectors, fasteners, wire; use hand tools. Must have vision ability of: close vision, peripheral vision, ability to adjust focus and differentiate colors.
- Possesses knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC,) the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC,) the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA,) Federal Communications Commission (FCC,) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA,) Department of Transportation (DOT,) American National Standards Institute (ANSI,) and various state and local codes including G.O. 95 and G.O. 128, (when applicable.)
- Inspects existing bond/ground to ensure compliance with Comcast and National Electrical Code (NEC) requirements; make new ground as required in order to protect employees, customers, and equipment from electrical shock or damage.
- Checks in each job in a timely manner in order to ensure all details of the work are recorded for entry in the customer's account once the work is complete. Completes associated paperwork with each work order, as required. Must be able to work while standing 50-70% of the time.
- Works within manufacturer's rated weight capacity for all equipment, including but not limited to ladders and aerial lifts.
- Determines acceptability of video, data, and voice services by reviewing television picture quality and PC and modem connection following any installation or work on cable services to provide the best possible service for the customer. Educates the customer on the CDV service and voice mail. Conduct CDV test call. Demonstrates CHSI service and educate customer on how to connect to the service, home page, national and local content, and web browsing using URL(s,) etc. Must possess
the ability to manipulate objects such as pens, keyboard and mouse.
- Provides information on available services to new and existing customers in order to sell additional services and attempt to upgrade existing services.
- Must have fifteen months cable telecommunications (and/or broadband) or similar experience. Possesses: knowledge of cable television products and services, basic knowledge of cable system operations, basic knowledge of a cable system overview, and basic knowledge of the history of cable and Comcast.
- Must have knowledge of components on the PC desktop and ability to perform the following: launch an application; add a shortcut; log into and navigate through a dial-up or other internet service; install software like Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator, Microsoft Windows, MS Office applications, educational software or games; navigate through a file system via the DOS prompt or window interface; access the Control Panel to configure components such as a printer, modem, and
- Must possess knowledge of PC hardware, software and the Internet and the ability to troubleshoot and resolve related service failures.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Required Training/Licenses/Certifications: Valid drivers license and satisfactory driving record. Will successfully complete training and instruction that includes, but not be limited to, the following topics (training should reflect the network maintenance competencies): Cable Theory and Terms, Construction Practices, Troubleshooting to Node and Return Path, Track and Repairs CLI, Power Supply-Maintenance, Forward and Reverse Alignment, and Safety Program.
- Applies knowledge and skills of training on the job in order to prepare for promotion to the next level.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor in order to achieve departmental goals.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer