Comcast Principal Software Engineer in PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
The Comcast Content Security platform powers X1, the best Cable TV experience on the market. The Content Security team is responsible for all aspects of architecture, design, development, and operations related to identity, encryption, protected video delivery, and licensing for the X1 platform. Our deliverables include a group of distributed and highly-scalable hosted services, as well as client-side and embedded systems work that enables best-in-class video experiences across diverse platforms.
A Senior Engineer on the Content Security team is a talented and self-motivated individual with a strong technical background, demonstrated mastery of computer science fundamentals, and a history of successful contributions in a fast-paced and large-scale environment. Depending on the Engineer's experience and interests, a project portfolio could include direct responsibility for architecture, development, and maintenance of server-side or client-side components. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to multiple platforms in a world class system and practice security systems engineering.
Content Security and X1 fall within Comcast's Technology and Product (T&P) organization. We have a laid-back work environment, casual attire, flexible work hours, and great benefits.
- A minimum of five years of experience as an active contributor during all phases of the software development lifecycle, with the ability to describe specific and detailed individual contributions in the areas of architecture/design, development, testing, release, and maintenance.
- Detailed knowledge of the HTTP specification and the RESTful style, including protocol basics, standard headers, content negotiation, and common techniques for securing HTTP-based applications.
- A thorough understanding of basic data structures and a high-level understanding of their implementations. Experience and proficiency with common algorithms and their relative tradeoffs.
- Proficiency with object-oriented development, data modeling, and design patterns.
- Experience working in one or more data serialization formats (e.g. XML, JSON, or ASN1), and defining associated document structures and serialization routines.
- Experience designing and building systems for highly available multi-site deployment environments, a solid understanding of the network architectures that support such systems, and familiarity with techniques for tuning application performance in a distributed environment.
- A sense of proud ownership and an on
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related fields
- A minimum of ten years of experience as an active contributor to a software development team.
- Experience leading a software development team or sub-team.
- Mastery of a garbage collected C-like language (e.g. Java, C#)
- Experience operating in a Linux/Unix environment, including basic system configuration and scripting.
- Experience building applications that leverage an RDBMS (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL).
- Experience working with standards-based cryptography and trust primitives (e.g. PKCS, TLS, X.509) and with one or more widely-used cryptographic libraries (e.g. OpenSSL, Bouncy Castle).
- Experience working with standards-based authentication protocols and primitives (e.g. OAuth, WS-*, JWT, SAML).
- Experience authoring and refining technical specifications.
- Experience mentoring junior developers and participating in the hiring process.
- A Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
The VIDEO INFRASTRUCTURE and SECURITY ENGINEERING (VISE) team is committed to Designing, Developing, Integrating, Testing, Deploying and Operating innovative, high quality Video solutions, leveraging state-of-the-art technology and world-class Video Delivery expertise for Comcast Customers. We will continue to optimize and evolve VIDEO platforms to securely deliver video products and solutions.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer