Indian Health Service Human Resources Assistant, GS-0203-05/06 in Phoenix, Arizona
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
Human Resources Assistant for the Southwest Region Office of Human Resources at the Phoenix Area Office in Phoenix, AZ. Position will provide support services to the recruitment/placement and classification departments and report to the Supervisory HR Specialist onsite.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Assist Human Resources Specialists with procedural work associated with recruitment/placement and classification activities.
- Process a full range of personnel actions; provide technical direction in the areas of personnel and pay administration; and apply the proper authorities, rules and regulations for these actions.
- Maintain personnel files and records in automated information systems.
- Provide assistance to employees and the general public on application procedures; respond to written, telephone, e-mail, and in-person inquiries on job advertisements and other human resources issues.
- With guidance and consultation, locate, review and retrieve information regarding classification and recruitment/placement issues.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel to other service units may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority; All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) eligible; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible; Schedule A.
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required
- Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Applicants may qualify for the following grade levels if they meet the education and/or specialized experience described below. GS-05:Applicants at this level must meet one of the following requirements:
- 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 level sufficient to provide support to HR specialists involved in one or more specialties such as classification, recruitment, benefits, and payroll: assist with processing hires/separations, assist in gathering position description documents in support of classification actions, initiate/submit background check requests, use a computer and software programs to prepare a variety of HR documents, prepare HR case files (hardcopy and electronic) and files personnel documents appropriately; OR
- Successfully completed 4 years of education (equivalent to 120 semester hours) or have a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to human resources; OR
A combination of education and specialized experience as described above. Only education beyond the first 60 semester hours is creditable towards meeting the specialized experience requirement (e.g., junior- or senior-level courses). GS-06: Applicants at this level must meet 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 level performing a wide variety of interrelated and/or non-standard HR support work, for example:
Participate in recruitment actions for competitive and excepted service hires; coordinate the use of temporary hires.
- Screen applications to determine of applicants meet minimum requirements for potential consideration. Skill in applying Indian Preference highly desirable.
- Assists in position description activities such as maintaining organization charts, gathering documents for classification evaluations, and other classification documents.
- Assists in benefits and payroll administration for new employees.
- Proficiency in computers and related software highly desirable in order to use a wide variety of HR information systems. Time-In-Grade Requirements:Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 07/28/2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
**If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed are received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer **
Review our benefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned.
This position has promotion potential up to the GS-08 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474627300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-28
Salary: $33,846 to $49,050 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 5 - 6
Series: 0203 Human Resources Assistance
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-PX-10028298-ESEP/MP
Control number: 474627300