Indian Health Service Supervisory General Supply Specialist in Pine Ridge, South Dakota
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Property & Supply Department, Pine Ridge, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the Administrative Officer.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Directly supervises an Inventory Management Specialist, (3) Purchasing Agents and (5) Supply Technicians. The incumbent plans work to be accomplished by subordinates and prepares schedules for completions of work; assigns work to subordinates based on priorities and capabilities of employees; evaluates work performance of subordinates; advise or counsel employees on work and administrative matters; interview candidates for positions, recommend appointment, promotion, or reassignment to such positions; hear and resolve complaints from employees; efects minor disciplinary measures, such as warnings and reprimands; identify training needs of employees; approves leave, etc. Property/Supply Management-(65%)
Provides technical direction, coordination and guidance to all personnel involved in Property/Supply Management operations at the Pine Ridge Hospital and the Kyle and Wanblee Health Centers. Performs special property/supply management activities and duties. This entails the establishment of target dates for completion, follows-up of action and review of data to assure accuracy in preparation and submission or required reports.
- Reviews the needs of offices served concerning general and medical supplies and directs the analysis, cost comparison, and acquisition for those needs. Contacts program directors and participates in management staff meeting resource for data and advice relating to supply. Advises various personnel and is required to keep abreast of and implement constantly changing Government Regulations and technological advance in virtually all area of supply management. Provides direction in storage, warehousing and related activities such as physical receipt, inspection, custody, maintenance while in storage, stock rotation, and determination of stock level and shipment of materials. Much of this work is performed through physical reviews and computerized annual physical inventories.
- Oversees the maintenance of leased Government vehicles, ensures that vehicles are routinely inspected and scheduled maintenance is performed. Ensures that vehicular records on GSA vehicles are maintained for warehouse files on vehicle mileage, trip dispatches, security of vehicles and repairs needed and made. Ensures that monthly mileage and gas reports are entered into the Motor Vehicle Information System (MVIS).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
GS-11:* *One (1) 1 year specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-9 OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
Specialized Experience:Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level.
*Specialized Experience Defined: *Experience in inventory management including control and accountability of real property, personal property and expendable items. Experience in implementing procedures, policy and guidelines designed for effective and efficient management control and accurate accounting of capitalized property, both real and personal. Experience in directing and managing the property and supply program which consists of property and inventory management, property utilization and disposal, warehouse and storage operations and acquisitions. Experience in developing procedural and policy guidelines to effect and promote economic efficient, maximum utilization of all property utilized at the health center. Experience in establishing appropriate controls and procedures for reassignment of excess or unserviceable items.
Supervisory Experience: The supervisor sets the overall objectives and decides on the resource available.
* Time-In-Grade Requirements:*Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Monday, August 21, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Drug testing is not required.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476457400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-08 to 2017-08-21
Salary: $60,210 to $78,270 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11
Series: 2001 General Supply
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-GP-1997156-ESEP/MP
Control number: 476457400