Comcast Dedicated Support Engineer in Seattle, Washington
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Comcast Technology Solutions (CTS), the industry-leading provider of broadband video management and publishing solutions, is hiring a multi-talented Dedicated Support Engineer. CTS helps content providers and video sites meet their unique broadband video publishing requirements. Our services scale with our customers' operations and support their business model with an open, versatile approach to providing the ideal technical solution for their needs.
This Dedicated Support Engineer (DSE) III position takes a leading role in the operation and maintenance of a large, distributed Video-On-Demand (VOD) processing workflow. This system performs automatic mass processing of video assets numbering in the millions-including ingest, encoding, distribution, QA, and more.
The ideal candidate will possess strong troubleshooting instincts and IT support experience with Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) experience , an understanding of operational needs surrounding scale, high-availability, and performance . Experience with operating and troubleshooting enterprise systems using RESTful services is criticalfor this position.
Core Position Competencies
- Troubleshooting Resolves service tickets escalated from lower tiers; identifies root-cause
- Documentation Maintains operational knowledge-base
- Development Designs, Implements, and Maintains operational tools, dashboards, scripts, and alerts
- Analysis/Design Proactively acts to ensure system operates as intended
- Mentorship Advises and trains team-members on best practices; helps others to expand skill-sets
- Reporting Ensures operational state of system is captured and reported
- Operation Monitors and operates the system, as appropriate
Responsibilities in greater detail
- Participates in a team-based culture that favors quality, automation, and rapid delivery of functionality.
- Resolves service tickets and system issues.
- Leads in issue escalation activities. Appliesknowledge learned to prevent future occurrences.
- Analyzes log files for errors and takes corrective action. Applies Comcast security policies to all systems.
- Assists inperformance analysis, capacity planning, and tuning of system workflow.
- Development responsibilities: Implements small-to-large operational scripts/systems to programmatically analyze and address system problems in at least 1 modern language (preferably Ruby, Java/Groovy).
- Creates reports, dashboards, and alerts on system operation status and system health.
- Acts as a point of escalation for issues, training, and guidance to less experienced team memebers.Leads in incident and customer management, effectively communicating status and setting expectations.
- Acts as a SME for customer workflow to analyze problems in design, configuration, data flow, and data state within a highly complex multi-product provisioning system.
- Exercises independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary. Some travel required.
- Participate in 24x7x365 on-call rotation to cover critical client escalations, events, and Incident Response Management.
- Contribute in writing, and in person, to root cause analysis meetings as part of process improvement.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Domain Experience
Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems Preferred
- Generally requires 2-3 years' related enterprise systems support experience, with 1 years' experience with distributed, customer-facing services.
- High level of proficiency with Linux administration and configuration.
- Advanced knowledge of the HTTP protocol and client/server interactions.
- Advanced experience using HTTP debugging tools and methodologies.
- Experience withMaven, Chef, Puppet, Nagios, Zenoss, Splunk is preferred.
- Excellent communication, organization, and time-management skills.
- Keen attention to detail and high level of commitment.
- Ability to interact with technical and non-technical users.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer