Eaton Corporation Senior Specialist– Power Conversion in Shanghai Shi, China
Corporate Research & Technology focuses on the front end of innovation by: conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing cross-business impact technologies, and innovating to provide Eaton’s customers’ with safe, efficient, and reliable power management solutions.
The Power Conversion team has the principal goal of identifying, developing, and justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse Eaton businesses in the area of power electronics, power converters, power systems, electric drives, electromagnetics, thermal, electromechanical packaging, numerical modeling and controls.
The Senior Specialist is expected to own the technology strategy and execution for broad applications within the Power Conversion team. This includes acquiring resources, funding and establishing key partnerships both internally and externally to drive technological advancement. They will be responsible for meeting the schedule, scope, cost, technical targets and report preparation for all research and development efforts under his/her control.
The Senior Specialist should serve as a subject matter expert within the area of Power Conversion for Eaton. This includes developing and maintaining relationships with the external technical community and academia, active participation in industry or technical groups and events, publishing papers, etc. Finally as a subject matter expert internally the Senior Specialist will be expected to mentor junior staff and consult with internal business & engineering customers.
· Project leads are the single point of contact for the entire project. Responsible for creating, executing and tracking all the milestones for the entire project. Assigns roles and responsibilities for the project team members.
· Program lead are responsible for setting the strategy for an entire program that can encompass multiple projects. Responsible to assign project leads and technical leads for all program activities. The single point of contact to upper management for all program activities.
· Complexity at this level includes multiyear projects and multi-million dollar projects
· Participates and presents in ideation events (Innovation Summits, Design Bursts, etc.)
· Serve as principle investigator in developing and commercializing early stage technology
· Influences the business strategy and associated product roadmaps as a result of technical expertise and reputation as trusted advisor
· Serves as the Eaton recognized expert in a key technology area for CRT
· Performs tech scouting for Eaton (monitoring technology landscape for the future)
· Proven track record on both success and failure of commercial early stage technology
· Strategically identify leading external partnerships, outside technologies and best practices for multiple applications within Eaton that has cross alignment to multiple technology platforms and business strategies
· Leads open innovation events with universities and external institutes that align with Power Block strategy
· Serves as a subject matter expert externally and internally. This includes leadership/active participation in external industry and technical groups, mentoring junior level staff and consulting internal business and engineering partners.
· Actively contributes to and guides team members on IP generation
· 10 years’ experience of power electronics applications in multiple industries, especially on drives, UPS and MV, hands on experience of product design in these area.
· 10 years’ experience on system architecture of power electronics products.
· 10 years’ experience with power electronics topologies like AC/DC, DC/DC, DC/AC, AC/AC, familiar with the designs, trade-offs and control strategies.
· 10 years’ experience with components of power-electronic systems (e.g. semiconductors, gate drives, bulk capacitors, inductors, transformers, bus-bars, heat-sinks, current sensor technologies, voltage sensor technologies, etc.)
· 7 years’ experience with thermal aspects of power electronic components and how they relate to the design, packaging and lifetime of power electronic systems.
· 7 years’ experience in lab skills (such as scopes, DAQ, etc.) and background in power systems’ and power conversion’ simulation tools (minimum MATLAB/Simulink).
· 7 years’ experience with rapid-prototyping platforms and tools such as dSPACE, OPAL-RT, LabVIEW, RTDS, etc.
· 3 years’ experience with control algorithm implementation and verification in embedded platforms. Familiar with DSPs, MCUs and FPGAs and associated software and firmware development
· 3 years’ experience with the design and analysis of magnetic components for power electronics circuits—such as high-frequency inductors and transformers—and an extensive knowledge of the materials and construction techniques and how they affect their characteristics.
· Excellent English communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
· Experience with EMI/EMC analysis and filter design
· Highly preferred strong technical publication and invention record
· PhD in Power Electronics is preferred, Master plus 3 years’ experience is considered as equal.
Desired experience and/or qualifications
· Should be recognized externally as a subject matter expert (possesses unique authoritative technical knowledge in field). This may be evident through invitations to present a technical presentation or publish in a technical journal as SME to an audience of technical/industry peers
· Can influence, resolve and communicate major changes to cross functional teams across the company
Eaton is a power management company with 2016 sales of $19.7 billion. We provide energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. Eaton has approximately 95,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit Eaton.com.
At Eaton we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently – if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you – then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information visit www. Eaton.com/careers.
Region: Asia Pacific
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.