Indian Health Service Medical Instrument Tech (Ultrasound) - ESEP/MP in Shiprock, New Mexico
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located in the Medical Imaging Branch of the Northern Navajo Medical Center (NNMC), Shiprock, NM. The incumbent performs a wide range of highly technical and semi-professional procedures requiring independent judgment, ingenuity and initiative in the application of ultrasonic examinations of diagnostic quality for patients of all age groups. Incumbent reports to the Supervisory Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-R1-NJ-1943278-DE; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
- Performs ultrasound studies for diagnosis and sonographic guidance to assist clinicians during invasive procedures biopsies and amniocentesis with highly specialized equipment. Instructs patients on required exam preparations. Correlates clinical history, pertinent clinical data, lab tests and other ancillary diagnostic exams to obtain an ultrasound exam. Maintains professional expertise to recognize anatomy of various structures within the abdomen and pelvic cavities. Must be capable of being able to distinguish pathology as shown on the imaging monitor. Performs and documents Quality Assurance activities so as to maintain JCAH acceptance.
- Responsible for proper maintenance and performs of all equipment with documenation on file. Keeps abreast of the lastest advances in ultrasound equipment and technical updating of procedures.
- Responsible for the clinical instruction and technical imaging required for training Diagnostic Medical Sonography students. Responsible for constant observation of the students.
- Maintains, obtains, stores and ensures an inventory control system for supplies.
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: GS-09: 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree or 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS 08 grade level.
GS-10: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-9 grade level.
Specialized Experience: Experience in operating, supervising the operation of, or instructing in the operation of equipment related to the particular specialization of Ultrasound studies. Experience in performing the most difficult or complex ultrasound examinations; constant decision making on how to present examination medically significant aspects found by method or technique; and instructed or trained in other appropriate procedures.
Education: There are no specific educational requirements for this position; however, any coursework related to the position from an accredited college or university is preferred.
Licensure or Certification: The incumbent must be certified as a American Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (ARDMS) of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) or eligible.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Other additional compensation: (Subject of availability, eligibility and approval)
- Appointment Above the Minimum (AAM)
- Recruitment/Relocation Incentive
- Shipment of Household Goods
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Incumbent may be subject to be on call-back to cover emergency ultrasonography care.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized child care position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476599100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-10 to 2017-08-30
Salary: $50,461 to $71,247 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 09 - 10
Series: 0649 Medical Instrument Technician
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: IHS-R1-NN-1932963-ESEP/MP
Control number: 476599100