AECOM Geotechnical Engineer in St Albans, United Kingdom
Business Line Environment
Position Title Geotechnical Engineer
United Kingdom - Hertfordshire
Our Ground Engineering team in St Albans is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer or Engineering Geologist with experience in design and/or construction, to work on a range of civil and structural engineering projects such as highways, railways, residential and commercial developments, infrastructure and flood defences.
Our Ground Engineering team in the UK comprises around 190 staff, providing services across the range of engineering geology, geomorphology, ground investigation, geophysical surveys, geotechnical design and construction supervision. The St Albans office traditionally has a diverse range of interesting projects in the UK and overseas and over nearly 100 years has built a reputation for successfully delivering ground engineering schemes in the UK and many other countries. We are looking to enhance and grow this team with individuals with a sound technical ability that share our enthusiasm and determination to provide an efficient service of high quality to all our clients.
The team provides services ranging from project management, desktop studies, feasibility/options, outline and detailed design as well as construction support. Much of work is for internal clients enabling AECOM to offer our clients a one-stop service from project inception to scheme opening. In the UK our clients include Highways England, Network Rail, HCA, Shell, Thames Water, Rolls-Royce, the Environment Agency, numerous County Councils and Local Authorities, as well as leading contractors and developers.
We have an impressive portfolio of major national and international infrastructure recent projects including:
• Assessment and design of the central section of the Thames Tideway Tunnel
• A303 Stonehenge – preliminary design
• Sports stadiums – Al Wakrah (Qatar) and Cameroon
• Slope remediation schemes for Highways England in Area 4 and Area 8.
• Detailed earthworks design and ground modelling for Hinkley Point C Nuclear Power Station, Earthworks and Preliminary Works Contract.
The appropriate level of technical expertise is required in order that the Job / Project Accountabilities listed below can be carried out to the necessary standard:
• Carrying out desktop studies and walkover surveys and assisting in planning ground investigations.
• Preparing technical specifications and contract documents for ground investigations (GI), supervising investigations and acting as the Investigation Supervisor.
• Scheduling laboratory tests, checking GI Contractor’s reports, interpreting and analysing the results using software such as Excel, Surfer and gINT.
• Collating, manipulating and interpreting data to provide reliable design parameters
• Designing geotechnical elements such as earth and rock slopes, deep and shallow foundations, gravity and embedded retaining walls and ground improvement using appropriate software.
• Communicating your findings and results both orally and in writing.
• Preparing reports on desktop studies and site visits, Ground Investigation Reports and Geotechnical Design Reports as required by Eurocode 7
• Establishing good working relationships with other AECOM teams
• Understanding the AECOM Project Management procedures, their importance and their application to projects
• Contributing to design reviews in accordance with the company Quality Management System
As a Senior Engineering Geologist or Geotechnical Engineer your responsibilities will some of the following:
• Desktop studies and walkover surveys.
• Ground investigation - scoping, specifying, supervising, logging, interpretation of GI data, derivation of design parameters and production of Ground Investigation Reports to EC-7.
• Geotechnical design – slope stability and earthworks design and the opportunity to get involved in design of shallow and piled foundations and retaining walls using a range of software. Where appropriate you will contribute to Geotechnical Design Reports to EC-7.
• Assisting in preparation of bids and proposals and attending meetings with contractors and clients, both external and internal and work. Depending on your interest there is the option to become involved in the management of projects.
To be successful you will relevant experience, be able to demonstrate an understanding of the industry and be familiar with the delivery of technical projects and the relevant Standards, specification and practice. We are looking for an ambitious team player with good basic skills, knowledge and some practical experience that he/she is ready to develop through exposure to a wide range of projects. The position will suit a person who wishes to assist in the development of innovative, cost effective and buildable solutions in an environment that is collaborative, stimulating and demanding.
• As a Senior Geotechnical Engineer or Engineering Geologist you will relevant experience enabling you to have developed a range of ground engineering knowledge and skills.
• You will have a working knowledge of UK geology, engineering geology and ground investigation practice.
• You will be able to describe soils and rocks, appreciate geomorphological features, record your findings and write clear and concise reports.
• Be familiar with software such as SlopeW, gINT, Oasys suite, gINT, Slope WALLAP and the Rocscience suite.
• You will be aware of the UK Specification for Ground Investigation, NEC Conditions of Contract and standards including BS5930 and BS1377 and be able to prepare specifications and contract documents.
• You should be willing to travel within the UK and overseas for limited periods; opportunities for longer relocation may arise from time to time.
• A first degree in geology, engineering geology or civil engineering.
• A Masters or PhD in a geotechnical subject would be an advantage.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM.
Job Category Engineering - Geotechnical
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 168407BR