Comcast Executive Director of Engineering in Sunnyvale, California
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Comcast has established within its T&P organization the Advanced Products Group chartered with the rapid development and engineering of forward looking products aimed at extending the Xfinity data, video and communications portfolios.
As part of this new practice, we are hiring a full time Executive Director of Engineering, reporting directly to the group head to accelerate the creation of new ventures.
You must be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, eager and willing to work collaboratively with stakeholders in adjacent products and organizations. Must have no less than 15 years proven track record of rapidly delivering technology products to market. Previous experiences should include projects with a mix of software and hardware dependencies in an applied engineering capacity. Startup experience, technical architecture and strategy work with track record of building successful integrated development teams are essential.
As a key member of the leadership team, the Executive Director ofEngineering is expected to:
Provide overall engineering leadership for the APG staff
Drive technical strategy, architecture and operational readiness for all new initiatives throughout the incubation period
- Contributes in the creation of new product ventures from operational perspective, including process to hire technical leaders, setting budget and goals, and guidingdecision making around external collaborations/investments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with all necessary internal engineering organizations to ensure a well-integrated development process and technical outcomes across programs
- Supports the creation, together with the other APG senior leadership, of a high-valuenetwork of relationships with startups and corporate technology companies in Silicon Valley and other innovation ecosystems.
Protect intellectual property through patent filings
Manage technical incubation, early operations and transition ofnew ventures to run-rate development state:
Manage and drive technical elements of projects from the planning stage through prototype and incubation, contributing to the code as necessary
- Ramp and manage engineering capacity for new initiatives and advises existing program leaders on technical talent acquisition and management
- Perform financial analysis for engineering development and technical operations
- Architect efficient and scalable technical solutions for new ventures, ensuring their thoughtful integrations into Comcast's infrastructure and legacy operations
- Coordinates the engineering needs thought transition of each new venture from APG incubation to run-rate business.
- 15 years of hand-on software development, 10 years of engineering team management, 5 years in technical leadership roles.
- Knowledge of computing hardware design and embedded systems software development experience is a must.
- Direct experience with modern software design principles and technologies, including development for complex web environments and mobile applications.
- Proficiency in Agile software development methodologies.
- Direct expertise in REST/SOAP/JSON APIs and message bus technologies
- Direct expertise in managing cloud-based infrastructures such as Aws and OpenStack
- Solid working knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases.
- Proficiency with Python, Django, Flask and distributed system frameworks
- Direct experience managing development for mobile products, specifically for iOS and Android platforms
- Command of embedded software design for networking devices and networking architecture I highly preferred
- CS, EE Advanced degree or similar
- MBA or equivalent experience is preferred
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to drive innovation through a complex organization
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with ability to articulate complex technology simply
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer