Indian Health Service Counselor Aide in Wadsworth, Nevada
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
Counselor Aide for the Adolescent Regional Treatment Center in Wadsworth, Nevada. The incumbent will provide assistance to clients with daily living skills and report to the Supervisory Milieu Coordinator onsite.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Merit Promotion and Excepted Service procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-17-PX-10028237-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team in an inpatient program for Native American adolescents with substance abuse problems.
- Assist in basic substance abuse instruction and education in accordance with patient treatment plans.
- Keep written records in accordance with treatment center policies and procedures.
- Provide guidance and instruction in group activities, personal health and hygiene, courtesy, and etiquette to adolescent patients.
- Assist patients with homework assignments from school classes and treatment sessions.
- Provides transportation to airport, hospital, and/or other treatment activities as directed.
- Work a 12-hour compressed schedule including nights and weekends.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizen
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S):Applicants must meet one of the following qualification requirements in order to be considered at the GS-05 level:
Education: A 4-year course of study above high school leading to a Bachelor's degree with courses related to the position. Examples of related courses include: psychology, social work, education, human service, counseling, rehabilitation, etc.; OR
Experience: 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 level providing physical and psychological care for clients in a residential treatment facility, or related setting, to prevent and treat social problems like substance abuse, dysfunctional family, trauma-related emotional disturbances, etc. Knowledge of chemical dependency and co-occurring disorders is highly desirable. Prior experience in the following fields may be found qualifying: teacher's aide, paraprofessional, social work assistant, human services assistant, behavioral health technician, residential aide, substance abuse technician, nursing assistant or medical assistant. OR
Combination: A combination of education and specialized experience as described above. 1 year of experience is equivalent to 12 months or 52 weeks of full-time work. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours is creditable towards meeting the specialized experience requirement.
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution. Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 07/27/2017.
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued fro this announcement.
This position is covered by a bargaining Unit.
A one-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. Upon tentative selection, selectee will be requested to complete, sign, and submit the Addendum to OF-306, Child Care & Indian Child Care Worker Position form. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Current, unrestricted U.S. Driver's License in order to transport clients in a government vehicle.
- Subject to holidays, rotational, or call back to provide continuity of service.
- Must have a viable bank account for electronic deposit of salary payment. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474552200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-14 to 2017-07-27
Salary: $32,844 to $42,702 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 5
Series: 0102 Social Science Aid and Technician
Appointment type: Term - 2 years
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-PX-10028272-DE
Control number: 474552200