Indian Health Service Psychiatric Practical Nurse in Wadsworth, Nevada
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located at the Nevada Skies Youth Wellness Center in Wadsworth, Nevada, the regional treatment center for the Phoenix and Tucson Areas of the Indian Health Service. It serves youth between the ages of 12 to 18, who have mental health and substance abuse problems.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Establishes constructive relationships with individual clients for the purpose of exploring behavior, feelings and attitudes and promoting interpersonal relationships, communication, and socialization skills.
- Identifies and meets needs of clients for health information and guidance in activities of daily living.
- Takes vital signs and supports the doctor by facilitating diagnostics tests. Assesses and reassesses changes in client behavior and reports to appropriate treatment team members
- Administers prescribed medications and monitors effects
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of the client's treatment plan and the treatment program.
- Recognizes and responds promptly to emergency situations and initiates appropriate action.
- Promotes client participation in their treatment by fostering behavior that has a positive impact on maintaining a health lifestyle.
- Not Required
- You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Licensure: Candidates must be currently licensed to practice as practical or vocational nurses in a State or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: performing the following type of work and/or qualifying experience includes nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures, performing such duties as providing a wide range of nursing services that require knowledge of substance abuse treatment and the ability to provide mental health nursing services in accordance with policies and procedures of the Indian Health Service and the Desert Vision Youth Wellness Center.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 08/23/2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed isreceived, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement. This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. Upon tentative selection, selectee will be requested to complete, sign, and submit the Addendum to OF-306, Child Care & Indian Child Care Worker Position form. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Selectee may be required to travel and must possess a valid driver license.
- Must have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476693600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-10 to 2017-08-23
Salary: $36,611 to $47,598 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 6
Series: 0620 Practical Nurse
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-PX-10037120-DH
Control number: 476693600