Hilton Senior Internal Auditor in Watford, United Kingdom
The Senior Internal Auditor will contribute to / lead project reviews of financial, operational, and compliance risks and controls across our global portfolio of business units and hotels. This position will be part of a team primarily responsible for risk-based audits across Hilton Worldwide's Europe, Middle-East and Africa (EMEA) operations, but may also be asked to audit hotels and processes across Hilton's Americas and Asia-Pacific (APAC) regions.
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
With thousands of hotels in over 100 countries and territories, Hilton offers countless opportunities to delight. From an open door to a welcoming smile and an exceptional experience, we offer the millions of travellers who stay with us every year a welcome they will never forget. If you appreciate the impact global travel can have on the world you may be just the person we are looking for to work as a Hilton Team Member. Because it’s with Hilton where we never forget the reason we're here: to delight our guests, Team Members, and owners alike.
What will I be doing?
This position includes the following responsibilities:
- Efficient execution of assigned projects included on the department's risk-based Internal Audit Plan
- Participating in detail testing of key financial controls in support of the company's U.S. Internal Controls over Financial Reporting
- Conducting independent and objective assessments of internal controls, financial results, corporate processes, hotel operations, compliance requirements, etc.
- Partnering with management to develop corrective action plans in response to all Internal Audit observations and subsequent follow-ups to ensure closure
- Helping refine departmental methodologies and deliverables in accordance with professional standards
- Supervising audit team, including Internal Audit Team Members, guest auditors, and Hilton's co-source service providers
- Educating and advising property management and process owners on accounting and internal control requirements
- Interacting regularly with process owners and senior management
- Strong business sense, excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and an innate desire to grow professionally are keys to success in this challenging position.
Planning Activities (15%)
- Prepare draft audit programs, request listings, testing strategies, and other pre-audit planning activities aimed at ensuring an efficient and effective audit.
- Schedule and conduct meetings with management to describe audit objectives, coverage areas, timing, and protocols for concerns / changes / escalations.
- Coordinate travel plans and logistics for scheduled audits.
- Coordinate quarterly follow-up meetings and document action plan statuses based on discussion with respective management action plan owners
- Build relationships and work closely with regional leadership to identify and mitigate property and Corporate-level risks
Organizing Activities (15%)
- Execute various aspects of assigned Internal Audit projects (i.e., planning, fieldwork / testing, workpaper preparation, draft reporting, etc.).
- Planning and execute testing related to internal controls over financial reporting and hotel audits
- Ensure timely project execution and project / workpaper closure
Directing Activities (5%)
- Opportunities may exist to lead individual audit projects (based on level of experience)
Staffing Activities (5%)
- Staff jobs with internal, co-sourced, or "guest auditor" resources in order to achieve project objectives / coverage.
Controlling Activities (60%)
- Execute Internal Audit projects, internal controls testing, and preparing workpapers / reports in accordance with department and Institute of Internal Auditor (IIA) standards.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company:
- Various ad hoc projects for Internal Audit leadership and/or regional management
- Internal audits of hotels, timeshare, corporate, shared services, and other business areas (as needed)
- Partner with co-sourced Internal Audit resources and "guest auditors" on various audit projects
- Educate, train, and advise hotel staff and management on accounting and internal control requirements
- Build solid working relationships and partner closely with regional leadership and hotel management
- Any and all other job duties as assigned
What are we looking for?
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to lead meetings
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with superior interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Problem solving skills
- Strong work ethic with self-accountability for high-quality results
- Positive attitude and perseverance in the face of challenges and / or changing circumstances
- High-energy self-starter capable of completing a diverse workload within strict timelines
- Absolute discretion and confidentiality regarding sensitive information
- Highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity
What benefits will I receive?
Your benefits will include a competitive starting salary and holiday entitlement. As an employee you will become a member of the Go Hilton Team Member Travel Program, which provides reduced hotel room rates for you, your family & friends! We look forward to explaining in detail the range of excellent benefits that you would expect from a global hotel organization like Hilton.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline or experience in lieu thereof
- Experience within general accounting and public accounting
- Proficient in use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and understanding of internal control concepts/frameworks (e.g. COSO, COBIT)
Understanding of current accounting (GAAP) and auditing standards
- Experience / knowledge of auditing processes and methodologies, including flowcharting
- Knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley Act provisions and prior experience testing key controls
- Willingness to travel up to 50%, including international destinations requiring a passport
Chartered Accountant (ACA) / Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA) / Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and / or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) highly preferred
- Big 4 public accounting background / experience highly preferred
- Hospitality industry experience, with a mix of experience from auditing, accounting and / or internal control roles highly preferred
- Prior use of advanced data analysis techniques (e.g., ACL, IDEA, Access, advanced Excel) a plus.
Title: Senior Internal Auditor
Requisition ID: EUR0132R