IBM Application Developer - Enterprise Print in ARMONK, New York
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This role is onsite in Armonk, NY (post covid)
As part of the toolset we provide to the workforce, our team, within the broader CIO mission, provides office print services to the IBM workforce. The print service is made up of many components, across hardware, software, services, and support, including 3rd party deliverables. Delivering office print spans various responsibilities from understanding the print needs of the workforce, understanding print industry trends and opportunities to drive value for the enterprise, negotiating with print suppliers, establishing and operating the enterprise print service, and managing the print program end-to-end, across planning, delivery, controls, financials, supplier relationship management and end user experience & satisfaction.
Your role, as the enterprise print application developer is to:
• Design, code, unit test, maintain, and document technical solutions of moderate complexity, including packaging and deployment of application code on Windows, Mac and Linux (RedHat), utilizing standard procedures and techniques. Current Platforms: Windows 10, Mac (Mojave & Catalina), and RedHat Enterprise Linux (7.x & 8.x). Future releases and versions are to be supported.
• Work with end users on problem determination and resolution, while incorporating resolutions into the application to avoid further user impact.
• Collect, document, and analyze business requirements and determine most efficient/effective technical solution, partnering with other team members as appropriate.
• Work with end users to gather requirements and develop specifications from both business and technical perspectives.
• Prepare technical documentation for the implementation and support of new/modified solutions which adhere to development and change management standards.
• Document and facilitate developed components through the software development lifecycle (SDLC) including; source code revision control, unit testing (UT), user acceptance testing (UAT), and change management.
• Support, adhere to, and maintain current software development standards and methodologies
• Utilize development tools necessary for database and application development.
• Advance the maturity of the environment by researching and implementing new tools and technologies with guidance from senior team members.
• Create and maintain native applications, leveraging platform APIs to:
• create, modify, and delete printer objects
• install, update, delete printer drivers
• create, update printer port monitors
• create application install packages
• for Mac & Linux experience with managing and customizing CUPS
• knowledgeable of PPD files and the ability to customize when necessary
• Develop and maintain constructive working relationships with clients, peers, superiors, and business stakeholders utilizing excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Highly self-motivated individual with proven problem solving.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for these positions now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
OS level knowledge of Windows, Mac and Linux (RedHat) including shell scripting, application development, and packaging (rpm build & deployment process).
Hands-on development in an object-oriented language (Java, C, python, etc.); relational database management systems (MS SQL, DB2), ANSI SQL.
Knowledge of and competent skill set with at least one of the following: common IDE's (Visual Studio, Eclipse, Xcode) experience with GIT; front-end web technologies (WebSphere, .NET, ASP, js and html).
Knowledge of agile methods and experience in working in an agile squad.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems, Informatics or related field or equivalent education/work experience.
About Business Unit
The Office of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) owns IBM’s IT strategy and provides the tools, workstations, devices, and infrastructure that IBMers use to do their jobs every day. Put simply, our mission is to create a productive environment for IBM's 365,000 worldwide employees. Join us as we lead with with design to drive simplicity and ease of use, engineering the systems that run the business, and innovating to transform the business.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
- IBM Jobs