Thermo Fisher Scientific Product Optimization Engineer in Asheville, North Carolina
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information
This site in Asheville, NC is part of the Laboratory Products Division (LPD) which unites deep scientific expertise, a collaborative culture and rich resources to deliver the lab equipment and consumables that our customers need to achieve their scientific goals – quickly, reliably and safely. Our smart lab solutions make it faster and easier for our customers to focus on what matters most – delivering answers and innovations that save and improve lives.
How will you make an impact?
You will support the design and manufacturing of laboratory equipment with specific responsibilities on existing mechanical components, mechanical subsystems and product testing and develop a project manager process as well as be accountable to lead you own project(s). You will also support Value Stream Managers in troubleshooting and resolving product engineering, costing, quality, and packaging issues and interact with all areas and levels of the company to bring a positive result in product development, production launches, optimizing existing products, using a multi-disciplinary approach to problem solving, and works to motivate team members toward the common goal.
What will you do?
• Work alongside other Product Optimization Engineer (POE) team members and with other cross-functional groups to develop mechanical systems and identify/implement projects for design optimization of the company’s Laboratory Products Division; including freezers, biological safety cabinets, shakers, incubators, and water systems.
• Actively participate in product development cycle to optimize productivity.
• Generate, review, and approve Engineering Change Requests (ECR’s).
• Support the creation of 3D CAD models and 2D drawings for of new and existing products.
• Create and maintain Bills of Materials (BOM).
• Work with internal project team which consists of quality, regulatory, R&D, operations, supplier/sourcing, manufacturing, marketing, and sales.
• Document project progress and track future product development milestones & tasks.
• Lead Continuous Improvement (CI) initiatives and support all Practical Process Improvements (PPI) projects.
• Other projects, tasks or special assignments assigned by the leadership team.
How will you get here?
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Experience using 3D CAD software (CREO/Windchill/SolidWorks)
• Knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
• Knowledge of ANSI drafting standards and GD&T
• Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills to understand system interfaces and to quickly analyze, troubleshoot, and determine root cause of issues
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to clearly communicate technical content to peers and management, support conclusions and recommendations with calculations, test data, industry literature, etc.
• Strong organizational and the ability to multi task
• Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Position may require up to 10% travel
This position has not been approved for relocation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here at https://jobs.thermofisher.com/page/show/eeo-affirmative-action-statement#accessibility for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.