McKesson Counsel / Senior Counsel, Privacy and Data Protection in Atlanta, Georgia
McKesson is in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. We partner with payors, hospitals, physician offices, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and others across the spectrum of care to build healthier organizations that deliver better care to patients in every setting. We believe in the importance of strong, vital organizations because we know that patients can only be healthy when our system is healthy.
Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission—by joining McKesson you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe. Talented, compassionate people are the future of our company—and of healthcare. At McKesson, you’ll collaborate on the products and solutions that help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare. Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all.
We understand the importance of a system that works together. Your expertise, drive and passion can help us improve everything we touch, from providers to payors to pharmacies. Join our team of leaders to begin a rewarding career.
Wherever you contribute here at McKesson, you will have the ability to make a real impact in the lives of others.
McKesson has implemented an enterprise-wide, global privacy program that provides leadership in both the risk management and strategic opportunity aspects of data privacy, and wants experienced privacy professionals who can think strategically, execute tactically and build relationships with business partners in a collaborative environment.
As a subject matter expert on Privacy & Data Protection, Privacy Counsel will report to the McKesson Privacy Officer and Vice President, Global Privacy and provide privacy law advice in support of the McKesson enterprise and its affiliated business units. Privacy Counsel will play a key role in McKesson’s enterprise-wide risk evaluation and mitigation strategy for privacy and data protection, as a member of the Global Privacy Office within the Compliance, Regulatory and Ethics Organization, and in collaboration with Business Unit Attorneys, Business Unit Compliance Officers, Human Resources, Internal Audit, Corporate IT, Information Security and Risk Management, and other key internal stakeholders.
6 years as a practicing attorney with a firm and/or in-house experience. Plus factors include experience counseling participants in the healthcare industry, and CIPP or similar professional certification.
· In-depth knowledge of HIPAA and other health care privacy laws
· Serving as a legal subject matter expert on a broad range of privacy and data protection laws, including but not limited to HIPAA, the FTC Act, TCPA, CAN-SPAM Act, state data protection and security breach laws.
· Overseeing the legal evaluation of data incidents and partnering with other CRE members and internal stakeholders to guide their resolution consistent with applicable law and sound business practices.
· Developing privacy-related legal standards for enterprise-level policies and training, and supporting the development and implementation of privacy-related business-specific processes and procedures, training, and other controls.
· Providing privacy-related legal advice concerning business transactions, including performing legal due diligence, recommending appropriate post-integration action steps, and drafting and negotiating applicable language in M&A related contracts and documents.
· Providing privacy-related legal advice regarding marketing activities and web/mobile privacy notices.
· Collaborating with internal stakeholders to support the analysis, preparation, drafting and/or negotiation of pertinent aspects of privacy-related provisions within vendor and other 3 rd party agreements.
· Monitoring and evaluating evolving laws, regulations and industry best practices to help maintain compliance and guide the enterprise and its business units toward opportunity.
· Monitoring and providing strategic legal advice to the Public Affairs team concerning legislative and regulatory developments in emerging areas of data privacy.
· Manage outside when necessary.
· Must be able to travel up to 20%.
Additional Knowledge& Skills
The successful candidate will:
· Bring a depth of knowledge and experience with privacy and data security laws and regulations and will have the ability to translate that knowledge to deliver relevant and actionable guidance to the business.
· Possess excellent legal judgment and the ability to be both pragmatic/business-oriented and strategic.
· Be capable of leading or supporting investigations and, upon the identification of root cause, guiding resolution, communicating findings, and advising senior management on risks and appropriate responses.
· Excel when working independently and collaboratively, have a record of developing strong working relationships with a diverse client base, and lead at all levels across the organization.
· Be comfortable in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage many projects simultaneously.
A Juris Doctor degree with excellent academic credentials and member of a state bar in good standing.
Benefits & Company Statement
McKesson believes superior performance – individual and team – that helps us drive innovations and solutions to promote better health should be recognized and rewarded. We provide a competitive compensation program to attract, retain and motivate a high-performance workforce, and it’s flexible enough to meet the different needs of our diverse employee population.
We are in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. We partner with payers, hospitals, physician offices, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and others across the spectrum of care to build healthier organizations that deliver better care to patients in every setting.
But we can’t do it without you. Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission—whatever your title, whatever your role, you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe. Talented, compassionate people are the future of our company—and of healthcare. At McKesson, you’ll collaborate on the products and solutions that help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare. Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all.
McKesson is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer – minorities/females/veterans/persons with disabilities.
Qualified applicants will not be disqualified from consideration for employment based upon criminal history.
No agencies please.
Organization: McKesson Corporate
Title: Counsel / Senior Counsel, Privacy and Data Protection
Requisition ID: 18001245
Other Locations: United States-Texas-Irving