HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Clinical Pharmacist in Atlantis, Florida
The General Clinical Pharmacist is responsible for providing general clinical and pharmacy services. This includes supervision of technical staff.
Duties (included but not limited to):
- Interpret orders and transcribes or verifies them accurately and efficiently into the pharmacy computer system
- Accurately compound and dispense pharmaceuticals
- Complies with facility policy and procedures and regulatory requirements
- Monitor drug therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, allergies and appropriateness of drug and dose
- Suggests appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic medication alternatives to medical staff
- Sustain the hospital formulary, minimizing nonformulary procurements, utilizing therapeutic interchanges and promotes rational drug therapy selection
- Provide accurate and timely medication information to healthcare staff and patients
- Assist with clinical services such as drug consults, nutrition support, pharmacokinetics, anticoagulant monitoring, pain management, IV to PO, renal dosing and other programs as defined by Pharmacy Leadership.
- Assist with the antimicrobial management and other clinical programs
- Document all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely
- Support and participate in the goals of the organization’s quality improvement, risk management and patient safety program to include but not limited to National Patient Safety Goals, Core Measures and HCAHPS medication related initiatives.
- Complete notification reports regarding medication errors and adverse drug reactions
- Participate in the training of new pharmacists, pharmacy students, and technicians
- Maintain professional competency sufficient to meet current and future needs of the facility
- Has knowledge of the patient population served and apply that knowledge in the care of those patients
- Provide basic technical support for automated dispensing machines and other pharmacy computer systems
- Effectively supervise pharmacy operation activities and provides support to the whole pharmacy team
- Compliant with facility pharmacy schedule to work physically at patient care areas to interact with medical staff, nurses and other members of the healthcare team.
- Effectively and proactively intervene in conflicts between pharmacy and medical staff regarding drug therapy issue resolutions.
- Train and participate with Disaster Team drills and real-event response as assigned
- Train and participate with Code Teams as assigned. Obtain and maintain BLS-ACLS or PALS current certification as appropriate.
- Maintain appropriate controlled substance records
- Comply with all regulatory standards
- Prioritize work and lead others to comply with facility medication turn-around time policy and procedure. Identify areas for improved efficiency
- Supervise and assist pharmacy technicians and other support staff effectively
- Act as supervisor in charge as assigned
- Participate in the continuous quality improvement of pharmacy operations (operational/clinical)
- Provide input for improving pharmacy computer system programs relating to pharmacy, nursing and physician programs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Practice and adhere to the “ Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Organization – proactively prioritizes needs and effectively manages resources
- Communication – communicates clearly and concisely
- Judgment – Makes decisions based upon job knowledge and experience. Considers all impacted areas in decision process. Seeks advice where applicable. Judgment sensible and reliable.
- Customer Orientation – establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting or exceeding expectations.
- Interpersonal Skills – able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
- PC Skills – demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office, Meditech, and purchasing vendor applications and others as required
- Policies and Procedures – articulates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
- Basic Skills – able to perform mathematical calculations, balance and reconcile figures, punctuate properly, spell correctly and transcribe accurately
EDUCATION * B.S. or PharmD from an ACPE-accredited School of Pharmacy
Minimum of one year of hospital experience is preferred
Active pharmacist license in good standing with the appropriate State Board of Pharmacy
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS –Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. May be exposed to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents. Work is an office or pharmacy environment. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations.
OSHA CATEGORY –The normal work routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues (although situations can be imagined or hypothesized under which anyone, anywhere, might encounter potential exposure to body fluids). Persons who perform these duties are not called upon as part of their employment to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid, or to be potentially exposed in some other way.
Job: *Pharmacy & Pharmacy Tech
Title: Clinical Pharmacist
Location: Florida-Atlantis-JFK Medical Center - Palm Beach
Requisition ID: 08751-14673