HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Financial Counselor in Augusta, Georgia
Job Summary – The Financial Counselor is responsible for reviewing the Financial Clearance Worklist daily and visiting in-house patients; collecting estimated patient liability amounts; explaining all financial information, responsibilities and working closely with outside agencies to ensure patient’s financial coverage.
Duties (included but not limited to):
• Follows AIDET guidelines in all interactions with the patient
• Demonstrates excellent customer service
• In conjunction with the Medicaid Eligibility Staff, visits all uninsured patients in-house
• Provides estimates to patients and/or physicians as requested
• Generates insurance verification and precertification reports daily and follows up with case management and insurance verification departments as appropriate
• Follows all guidelines set forth in the Cash Handling policy.
• Utilizes eligibility systems, online websites, or phone calls to determine insurance benefits and precertification requirements
• Assists patients with payment arrangements and in coordination with the Medicaid Eligibility Staff assists patient with financial applications
• Contacts patient employer, if necessary, for verification of employment, premium status, babies being added to policies.
• Escalates any concerns as needed to Patient Access Manager/Supervisor
• Enters pertinent insurance information into the HIS system (i.e. Meditech)
• Enters appropriate notes for all patient encounters
• Maintains professional image and implements excellent customer service to customers
• Completes financial analysis and collects estimated patient liabilities
• Follows up with patients for necessary signatures if they were incomplete at time of hospitalization
• Attends in-service presentations and completes mandatory education, including but not limited to, infection control, patient safety, quality improvements, MSDS and OSHA standards.
• Demonstrates knowledge of occurrence reporting system and utilizes system to report potential patient safety issues.
• Practice and adhere to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”
• Other duties as assigned
At least 1 year of collections experience required, especially from a hospital or medical facility environment.
Relevant education may substitute experience requirement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Communication - communicates clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing. This includes utilizing proper punctuation, correct spelling and the ability to transcribe accurately.
• Customer orientation - establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
• Interpersonal skills - able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
• PC skills - demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required
• Policies & Procedures - demonstrates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
• Basic skills - demonstrates ability to organize, perform and track multiple tasks accurately in short timeframes, have ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple demands, ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team player, adaptability, analytical and problem solving ability and attention to detail and able to perform basic mathematical calculations, balance and reconcile figures, punctuate properly, spell correctly and transcribe accurately.
High school diploma or GED required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
Requires prolonged sitting/standing for up to 7 – 8 hours, some bending, stooping, walking and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports or other information. Requires lifting papers/boxes and pushing/pulling up to 25 pounds occasionally. Work is performed in an office environment or hospital setting. Pushing computer cart on wheels for up to 7 – 8 hours. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations.
Job: *Admitting Registration Clerical & Scheduling
Title: Financial Counselor
Location: Georgia-Augusta-Doctors Hospital of Augusta - Augusta
Requisition ID: 08945-150741