Farmers Insurance Dir of Commercial Underwriting in Austin, Texas
We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
Want to learn more about our culture & opportunities? Check out farmers.com/careers and be sure to follow us on Instagram and LinkedIn !
- Directs Home Office and Service Center underwriting excellence cross the CMP, Auto and Workers Compensation business units.
- Recommends, coordinates, and implements commercial underwriting objectives, policies, and risk management techniques that support profit and growth goals.
- Oversees and performs industry research and special project that support strategic goals.
Monitors Service Center underwriting quality and operational performance. Recommends modifications (including sales promotion, training, and line and staff administration); and carries out liaison activities between Home Office Commercial staff and Service Center operations.
Essential Job Functions
Supervises assigned personnel Directs the development and revision of Commercial Lines Underwriting policies, rules, procedures and practices.
- Develops and supports the Commercial Center quality control program as well as conducts regular Home Office quality control audits; evaluates corporate policies, procedures, and practices, related to Commercial operating results, recommend modifications, acts as a liaison between all Commercial Business Units.
- Identifies and corrects weaknesses affecting CMP, Auto, and Workers Compensation profit and growth goals by auditing Commercial Center operations to assure proper adherence to quality control standards for risk selection and related pricing.
- Evaluates measurement controls regarding trends and recommends corrective action if necessary to Head of Commercial Underwriting, Service Center management, and the Executive Leadership Team regarding unfavorable trends.
- Evaluates research of risk management techniques and classifications based on Actuarial, Claims and Underwriting experience and confers with Assistant Vice President of Commercial Underwriting.
- Directs and oversees underwriting compliance and Service Center results; manages underwriting excellence and standardization, indicates corrective measures and provides oversight on Best Practice.
- Directs Commercial Underwriting Execution in the development and implementation of strategic initiatives that support growth, profit, and retention objectives.
- Provides oversight on Large Accounts, including those that exceed Service Center underwriting authority.
- Directs development of improving and updating the Commercial Underwriting Tool and Guide to indoctrinate Service Center Office personnel and the field force with current underwriting principles, objectives and policies.
- Advises CMP, Auto, and Workers Comp Product Management of the need for, and assists in, the implementation of new or revised insurance products.
- Evaluates the need for new rating plans, price structures of revision of reinsurance treaties and confers with Line Of Business Heads.
- Provides interpretation of coverage and underwriting rules or intent for Claims Management and Service Center Management.
- Counsels Commercial Center Managers on technical underwriting issues, loss development/trends, and makes recommendations for corrective action, where appropriate.
- Assists Commercial Marketing, Finance, and Actuary in helping the Service Center Office establish their Target Markets comprised of desirable and eligible Underwriting/Marketing Guide risks that offer the greatest profit potential.
- Represents Truck Insurance Exchange as needed when appointed as a member of an ISO committee.
Maintains contact with regulatory bodies, industry organizations, and other insurance carriers to be regularly informed on developments affecting commercial underwriting. Performs other functions as assigned.
Required job duties include sedentary work as well as some or all of the following physical activities; lifting and/or carrying 40-lbs (suitcases, projectors, handouts, laptop computer, etc.), seeing, speaking, hearing, and occasional operation of a motor vehicle.
Required job duties are normally performed in a climate controlled office environment with occasional job duties performed in company car, airplane, hotels, and various physical sites dictated by travel that are not always in a climate controlled environment.
Bachelor's degree required, preferably in a business-related field of study. Insurance industry designation achieved, or Completion of three sections from CPCU courses 500/510, 520 or 551, 552.
Ten or more years commercial multi-line underwriting experience. Two of more years as a Commercial Center Manager or Home Office Commercial Staff Manager, Or as otherwise negotiated
Special Skill Requirement
Knowledge of management information and business systems (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access). Must be detail oriented and accurate; demonstrate organizational skills and flexibility; ability to perform general mathematical calculations; ability to work in a fast paced environment be team oriented and have a consistent commitment to excellence. Analytical thinking skills to make timely, appropriate decisions and recommendations after reviewing all relevant information. Technical expertise in commercial risk selection and pricing. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated presentation skills. Ability to successfully interact with the agency force to grow business while at the same time maintaining underwriting discipline. Ability to read and interpret policy contract language. Working broad-based knowledge of relevant insurance laws and statutes; the contract issue process, computer systems, competitors products and marketing practices. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all functions, physical demands and skills required of personnel so classified.
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
Job: *Underwriting Management
Organization: *Farmers Insurance
Title: Dir of Commercial Underwriting
Requisition ID: 1900094R