HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Registered Nurse (RN) - PICC - Days in Austin, Texas
St. David’s South Austin Medical Center is part of St. David’s HealthCare , one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. St. David's South Austin Medical Center is an acute care facility with 316 beds, offering a range of complex specialties and sub-specialties, including a nationally accredited oncology program with the area’s only adult bone marrow transplant program; a trauma program that includes all of the capabilities and programmatic elements of a Level II trauma center to treat the most severely injured and critical patients; a comprehensive cardiac program; full-service maternity and newborn care with Level I and II nurseries; and two full-service emergency centers in the communities of Bee Cave and Bastrop.
The PICC Nurse utilizes the nursing process to direct and deliver nursing care related to PICC lines, other Central Lines, or difficult IV insertions to patients in the South Austin Medical Center. Provides direct patient care based on South Austin Medical Center Standards of Care and Standards of Practice, Policies, Procedures, and Practice Guidelines. He/ she acts as a patient advocate within the Hospital environment.
1) Ensures that a thorough assessment is performed as it relates to venous access of the patient. This information will be documented in the patient’s medical record using the nursing process. This assessment will be documented at the time of treatment and as needed. Patient care is delivered in accordance with needs.
2) Documentation is consistent, complete, thorough and legible. Documentation includes the outcome of nursing interventions and patient responses.
3) Patient care is administered based on Hospital and Departmental specific standards of care and practice.
4) The RN involves the patient and/ or significant other(s) in the patient’s care. Education/ instruction are provided specific to the patient’s health care needs and age requirements.
5) Administers prescribed medications in accordance with Hospital policies and practice guidelines. All medications are scanned into EMAR as appropriate
6) Physician orders for all patients cared for are reviewed as new orders are written, transcribed accurately, dated, timed, signed and noted at the time of treatment as relates to PICC .
7) Physician’s orders are carried out accurately in providing direct patient care.
8) Accepts only physician’s telephone orders in accordance with practice guidelines. Orders are written/entered into EPOE accurately to include date, time and physician giving order.
9) Notifies Charge Nurse/ Department Director and/ or physician if changes in patient status as appropriate.
10) Considers age-related factors/ limitations in the education of patients. Applies knowledge and principles of age-related factors appropriately in teaching.
11) Ensures patient right to privacy and confidentiality.
12) Assumes responsibility for nursing care of patients cared for. Patient care activities are organized and prioritized.
13). Coordinates care needs with other staff members on the unit, as appropriate.
14) Provides accurate and pertinent patient information to caregiver to ensure continuity of care.
15) Performs venipuncture, PICC line insertion, care and troubleshooting in accordance with Hospital practice guidelines. Documents pertinent information related to IV therapies and Central Line care.
16) Prepares patient and performs pre, intra, and post procedure care as appropriate.
17) Maintains competencies required by Hospital, Unit and position.
18) Maintains safe, effective working knowledge of equipment.
19) Performs basic life support (CPR) when necessary.
20) Takes into consideration the spiritual, psycho-social, cultural and religious preferences of the patient and family when participating in care.
21) Organizes and maintains cleanliness of patient care work area and work environment.
22) Demonstrate understanding of HCA’s and “Patients First” safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
23) Will comply with ICARE Standards/Expectations.
LEVEL OF FORMAL EDUCATION REQUIRED : Graduate of an accredited school of nursing is required.
Registered Nurse license by the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners. If compact license held, RN is required to obtain a Texas RN license within 90 days of their hire date.
CPR certification is required.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Registered Nurse with extensive IV experience.
Preferred: PICC line certification, PICC line insertion, care, and troubleshooting.
Job: *Nursing - Professional
Title: Registered Nurse (RN) - PICC - Days
Location: Texas-Austin-South Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00196-60261