HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Registered Nurse (RN) Supervisor, Emergency Services (ER) Bastrop Freestanding ER - Nights in Austin, Texas
_St. David's South Austin Medical Center - Austin, Texas_
_Supervisor - Emergency Services_
St. David's South Austin Medical Centeris a part ofSt. David's Healthcaresystems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. St. David's South Austin Medical Center is an acute care facility with 316 beds, offering a range of complex specialties and sub-specialties, including a nationally accredited oncology program with the area’s only adult bone marrow transplant program; a trauma program that includes all of the capabilities and programmatic elements of a Level II trauma center to treat the most severely injured and critical patients; a comprehensive cardiac program; full-service maternity and newborn care with Level I and II nurseries; and two full-service emergency centers in the communities of Bee Cave and Bastrop.
The Emergency Department consists of a 39 bed unit with an average of 100,000 patients per year. The patient population includes pediatrics, general medical and cardiac. SAMC has a very busy cardiac program, with the ER treating large numbers of acute MI patients in conjunction with the hospital's two cardiac cath labs. SAMC was the first Chest Pain-Certified ED in Central Texas.
Our staff consists of physicians, RN's, and technicians. All of our nursing and technical staff is currently certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support and many RN's are currently certified in pediatric care (PALS or ENPC). Many of our nurses have attained their CEN certification and CCRN certifications.
- Patient assignments are made according to nurse’s skills, acuity, and staffing availability.
- Delegates to LVNs, and PCTs according to BNEs Rules for Delegation.
- Assigns duties related to quality control: (IE: Hemocult, ACT, crash carts, glucose controls/testing, and narcotic counts, etc..
- Assures daily required check are completed as assigned (IE: Narcotic counts,, glucose controls, crash carts, specialty carts/specialty boxes are stocked/locked, etc.).
- Helps coordinate new staff orientation. May be asked to participate in the performance evaluation of new staff during the orientation period.
- Maintains awareness of patients’ status and current activities of the unit.
- Follows up on errors, complaints, and occurrence reports.
- Helps to resolve concerns of staff, ancillary departments, patients, physicians, and families.
- Acts as clinical resource to staff.
- Designates staff to attend fire drills and follows policies according to all emergency procedure.
- Assists Director/Manager and House Supervisor in the determination of staffing needs which may include calling staff to determine availability.
- Consults with House Supervisor regarding bed assignments, admissions, transfers, and discharges.
- Knowledgeable and competency in EKG rhythm strip interpretation and therapeutic interventions.
- Must be able to function as member of the Code/RRT teams.
- Provides input for staff evaluations. Required to assist with the administration/delivery of evaluations and counselings. Provides guidance to float and agency personnel. Completes agency/traveler nurse evaluation as required.’
- Receives and gives report on patients in the unit.
- Functions on behalf of Department Director or Manger in his/her absence.
- Assists with the development and implementation of the unit schedule.
- Participates/completes employee evaluations/counseling as requested/designated.
- Accepts additional responsibilities from Department Director/Manager ( IE: Kronos, counseling, budgetary process, quality improvement activities, etc.).
- Demonstrate understanding of HCA’s and “Patients First” safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures. Assures that staff members comply with these initiatives to include: Fall precautions/Isolation precautions/Core Measures, etc.
- Demonstrates ICARE standards/Values at all times. Assure that other staff members are held accountable for adhering to ICARE standards and values at all time.
- Rounds on patients every day and addresses patient/family issues/concerns in timely manner. Assures that staff are maintaining Communication Boards.
- Assures that staff comply with ICARE/SDP initiatives (IE: bedside shift report and Huddles/Roundups, etc.
- Performs Huddles/Roundups at the beginning of each shift
- Completes daily/monthly audits as requested: (IE: Critical Values/Restraints, handwashing audits etc.) and follows up on issues.
- Assure that staff comply with regulatory guidelines and/or hospital initiatives: (IE: Notification OPO/Core measures/environmental rounds.
- Assures that all broken equipment is tagged and work orders submitted for repairs.
- Assures crash carts/speciality equipment/reusable trays are exchanged as is appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
_Position Qualifications:_ * Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. * Registered Nurse license by the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners * Minimum five years of critical care experience. * Two years of Charge or Supervisory experience in a critical care setting. * BLS issued by the American Heart Association Healthcare Provider * ACLS issued by the American Heart Association Healthcare Provider * CCRN/PCCN certifications preferred
Job: *Supervisors Team Leaders & Coordinators
Title: Registered Nurse (RN) Supervisor, Emergency Services (ER) Bastrop Freestanding ER - Nights
Location: Texas-Austin-South Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00196-57897