HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Sterile Processing Tech II - Days w/ Weekend Rotation in Austin, Texas
St. David’s Medical Center* is part of St. David’s HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized in 2014 with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. Founded in 1924, St. David’s Medical Center is a full-service medical center offering comprehensive medical care at three locations—St. David’s Medical Center, Heart Hospital of Austin and St. David’s Georgetown Hospital.*
Located in central Austin, St. David’s Medical Center includes a 350-bed acute care hospital and a 64- bed rehabilitation hospital providing comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care. It is home to the internationally renowned Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute and St. David’s Neuroscience & Spine Institute. The hospital provides a complete range of women’s services, including its acclaimed maternity unit, maternal-fetal medicine, a high-risk maternal and neonatal transport team, the region’s largest and most sophisticated Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and The Breast Center; complex surgical services; a comprehensive Bariatric Surgery Center; and a 24-hour emergency department.
St. David’s Medical Center was named among the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals by Truven Health Analytics from 2010 to 2016. Truven also named St. David’s Medical Center to the list of 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals in 2013, 2015 and 2016. The hospital earned a national distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group from 2012 to 2016, and it received the 2016 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades for the fifth consecutive year, as well as Healthgrades’ 2016 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™ for the second consecutive year.
_POSITION SUMMARY_ The Sterile Processing Technician receives, decontaminates, tests, assembles, and sterilizes various reusable instruments and trays. Receives and stores supplies and instruments. Operates various cleaning and sterilization equipment. Assists the Supervisor Sterile Processing with quality control and documentation of all sterilization processes.
/Decontaminates patient care equipment./
* Retrieves equipment from operating rooms and utilization area at designated times and as the need necessitates.
* Performs decontamination and performance testing in accordance with established procedures.
* Utilizes cleaning agents in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
* Notify the appropriate Unit Supervisor and/or buyer of any malfunctioning equipment.
* Demonstrates working knowledge of equipment used in area
/Prepares and sterilizes supplies/
* Receives, prepares, and sterilizes items with steam sterilization in accordance with departmental procedures.
* Assembles surgical trays in accordance with current component list.
* Prepares and files appropriate documentation for each sterilizer load.
* Selects the appropriate method of sterilization for each item.
* Cleans and performs accepted maintenance on instruments and equipment.
* Properly loads, operates and cleans all sterilizers, and all equipment using biologicals and chemical control tests as required by policies and procedures.
/Receives and stores supplies appropriately./
* Examines all received supplies for expiration dates, package integrity, or any visible damage that might compromise sterility.
* Rotates and stores stock to achieve first-in / first-out distribution.
* Reports stock shortages to the Sterile Processing Supervisor within a timely manner.
* Works collaboratively with sales representatives.
/Operates cleaning and sterilization equipment./
* Performs daily or weekly sterilization validation tests per procedure per sterilizer in accordance with policy and procedure.
* Follows departmental established procedures and manufacturer’s instructions for operation of all cleaning and sterilization equipment.
* Monitors equipment through all phases of operation. Notes and reports within 15 minutes probable malfunction. Undertakes the appropriate procedure in response to a malfunction.
/Must maintain safe work environment in accordance with OSHA standards./
* Maintains proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while in the decontamination area.
* Assures general cleaning of department surface areas, racks, shelves, storage cabinets and all storage areas.
/Participates in unit activities./
* Assumes responsibilities of Sterile Processing Supervisor in his or her absence under the direction of the Manager, Sterile Processing when needed.
* Assesses others in adherence to principles of asepsis. * Provides two in services yearly relating to sterile processing, to sterile processing technicians, and other Surgical Services personnel if needed. * Ensures that all sterilization logs and records are correctly completed two times during each shift. * Participates in budget and inventory control. * Keeps supervisor and /or buyer informed of needed items. * Participates in staff and self-development. * Takes appropriate action to prevent/manage accidents in the area. * Participates in performance/process improvement. o Assists with orientation of new employees. o Completes Annual Equipment Competency Checklist. o Attends 80% of Staff Meetings. o Attends 90% of Mandatory Education Meetings and In services, if applicable.
_EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE_
Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: Completion of an accredited Sterile Processing Program. 0-2 Years’ experience in healthcare setting.
_EXPERIENCE_ Preferred: Previous experience in a healthcare setting. Previous Central Service or Sterile Processing experience.
_LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS_ Preferred: 2 years’ experience in Sterile Processing Department. Certification through IAHCSMM or CBSPD
Job: *Clinical Techs - CV Cath Lab Surg Vasc & Central Sterile
Title: Sterile Processing Tech II - Days w/ Weekend Rotation
Location: Texas-Austin-St. David%27s Medical Center
Requisition ID: 06676-63168