HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Supervisor, Central Sterile (Mid-shift) in Austin, Texas
St. David’s North Austin Medical Centeris part ofSt. David’s HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with aMalcolm Baldrige National Quality Awardin 2014. The 378-bed multi-specialty, acute care facility is dedicated to the highest level of women’s health services, including maternity and newborn care with Level I, II and III nurseries at the adjacentSt. David’s Women’s Center of Texas. The facility also features a 24-hour emergency department, theTexas Institute for Robotic Surgery, the Bariatric Center, heart and vascular center, neurology and neurosurgery, a kidney transplant program, inpatient and outpatient surgery, and acute inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, among many others. St. David’s North Austin Medical Center is also home toSt. David’s Children’s Hospital. In 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016, the hospital earned a national distinction for patient safety fromThe Leapfrog Group.
_POSITION SUMMARY_ The Supervisor of Sterile Processing supervises staff to ensure the decontamination, preparation, and sterilization of supplies and instruments for St. David’s Medical Center. Maintains all supplies, equipment, and instruments, ensuring that par levels are maintained. Is responsible for quality control and documentation related to the sterilization process in all sterilization areas. This is a working supervisor position and will take call. St. David’s maintains all supplies, equipment, and instruments for its facilities, ensuring proper par levels and timely pickup and delivery of all equipment and supplies.
_ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES_
/Orients, schedules, assign work to, and evaluate Sterile Processing Techs./
* Orients and develops Sterile Processing Techs and conducts on the job training as required so as to ensure high levels of quality and productivity.
* Conducts performance evaluations of Sterile Processing Techs.
* Keeps employees informed of policy and procedures changes as the need arises.
* Ensures the work environment is conducive to a high level of productivity. * Conducts educational programs for continuing educations of Sterile Processing Techs, especially in the methods by which products and equipment are used and/or reprocessed. * Maintains a work schedule for Sterile Processing Techs to ensure timely completion of tasks involved. * Assumes responsibility for attending informal educational and inservice programs to enhance skills and knowledge, requesting and accepting supervision in performing new skills of practice and documentation, and attending and participating in pertinent or mandatory unit meetings and inservices. * Is responsible for maintaining high standards in dress, hygiene, conduct, attitude, and performance, and maintains regular attendance and punctuality standards. * Promotes an atmosphere of cooperation among all areas for the processing and distribution of equipment during peak delivery times. * Ensures adequate staffing at all times to meet the needs and workload as dictated on a day-to-day basis, including weekends. * Responsible for ensuring Sterile Processing policies and procedures are actual, current, and up to date. * Is accountable for directing the flow of work within the Sterile Processing unit. * Maintains and updates the Skills Checklists of the Sterile Processing staff and reports them to the appropriate manager annually. * Assists with interviews, counseling, and evaluating Sterile Processing personnel with managerial support. /Oversees and assists with the decontamination and cleaning activities of surgical equipment, instruments, and ancillary supplies./ * Ensures appropriate decontamination, preparation, and cleaning have taken place before resterilization. * Assures retrieval of equipment is conducted at the designated times each day and shift, and at other times as the need warrants. * Ensures stringent cleaning and infection control policies are adhered to, in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and established practices. Observes the appropriate use of supplies and equipment for cleaning. Verifies the performance of functional testing by the staff. * Enforces the separation of contaminated items from clean and sterile areas. * Knows the location of supplies and acts as a resource person to other staff members. * Maintains traffic flow between decontamination area and Sterile Processing area according to Hospital Infection Control policy. /Manages the sterilization of reusable supplies, equipment, and instruments./ * Works closely with the OR Supervisors and/or nursing staff to ensure all sterilization parameters are being implemented correctly. * Consults with the departments on a routine basis to ascertain their needs concerning various sterilization processes and indications for each. * Ensures employees follow established policies and procedures governing decontamination and sterilization of each process used in Sterile Processing. * Ensures proper collection and storage of all associated records for bacteriologic testing, cycle monitoring, and preventative maintenance. * Maintains and complies with current regulations (Federal, State, and Local) concerning steam, ETO, and gas plasma sterilization processes. Disseminates such information to the Manager, Sterile Processing and staff as required. * Monitors the appropriate packaging/wrapping of supplies and trays in accordance with established policies and procedures. * Ensures the selection of the appropriate sterilization method is used for each item. * Coordinates an annual review of the tray manual with Supervisors and other appropriate personnel, and revises as necessary. * Maintains proper records and biological reports according to department policies and procedures. Is responsible for checking the indicators and reporting any discrepancies. * Is knowledgeable about function, use and care of steam sterilizer, flash autoclaves, ultrasonic cleaner, washer sterilizer, Steris System, and other required equipment. * Reports to the OR staff any relocations or changes within the Sterile Processing unit’s systems as recorded in the OR staff minutes and sterile room locator guide. /Responsible for maintaining the storage and rotation of inventory supplies./ * Packages instrument sets and supplies appropriately for type of items and ease of sterile distribution. * Ensures instruments are placed in their proper location (including departmental trays and instruments) and rotated at time of placement in a timely and neat manner. * On a schedule basis, reviews quantity of instrumentation and tray levels on hand and prepares and submits order requisitions to Supervisors to ensure adequate levels are available for tray sets. * Maintains all storage areas and supplies in a neat, orderly, safe, and clean environment. * Handles instruments and supplies correctly to insure proper functioning instruments are available in sets. Removes from service any dull, pitted, or broken instruments. Replace instrument or makes a note on package if it is missing. Removes from service any instrument reported dull or any instruments that looks weak. * Schedules instrument sharpening on a regular and as needed basis. /Participates in unit activities./ * Collects data to maintain departmental QA plans and supports a high level of customer service and satisfaction. * Is responsible for the Quality Control process and documentation for department sterilizer system. Reports to manager immediately when a problem is noted. Establishes recalls when necessary and documents accordingly. * Cleans autoclave according to department policies. Cleans tables, carts, and racks every shift. * Communicates with the OR supervisors and staff concerning items out for repair. * Responsible for staying within budgetary guidelines for Sterile Processing. Makes recommendations to the Manager, Sterile Processing for capital purchases. * Participates in budget and inventory control. * Keeps supervisor and/or buyer informed of needed items. * Participates in staff and self-development. * Takes appropriate action to prevent/manage accidents in the area. * Participates in performance/process improvement. * Assists with orientation of new employees. * Completes Annual Equipment Competency Checklist. * Attends 80% of Staff Meetings. * Attends 90% of Mandatory Education Meetings and In-services, if applicable.
* High school graduate or equivalent.
* Completion of an accredited Sterile Processing Program.
* One year of college in a related field.
* Three (3) to five (5) years in Materials Management, Sterile Processing or five (5) years experience in other forms of healthcare delivery working with instrumentation and infection control procedures. * Knowledge of infection control and sterilization practices. _LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS_ Required: * Certification with IAHCSMM or ASPCSP (within six months) Preferred: * Certification in Healthcare Leadership (CHL) through IAHCSMM.
REPORTS TO: SDNAMC Manager, Sterile Processing
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Sterile Processing Technicians
CAREER PATH OPPORTUNITIES: Manager, Sterile Processing
Job: *Supervisors Team Leaders & Coordinators
Title: Supervisor, Central Sterile (Mid-shift)
Location: Texas-Austin-North Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 08224-62174