HCA, Hospital Corporation of America PreOp Nurse PRN in Aventura, Florida
HCA has been recognized as a/World’s Most Admired Company/in the Health Care Medical Facilities Industry byFortune Magazine .The Ambulatory Surgery Division of HCAoperates and jointly owns with physicians 130 surgery centers across the United States. Our cases are performed Monday-Friday which meansNO nights, NO weekends, or On-call will be required.The size of our surgery centers naturally creates a culture where everyone knows one another with a shared focus on providing the best possible experience for those that we serve. We are currently in search of additional members to join our team!
We value you and your future. We provide multiple health insurance plan options, tuition reimbursement, and many more programs to cover a wide variety of today’s life and family needs. In addition to your salary and health insurance benefits, HCA provides a matching 401k as well as an Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP). Members of HCA receive consumer discounts on cell phones, hotels, rental cars, and many others. Interviews are being set immediately, you are encouraged to apply today!
- Prepares patient care area adequately before case and ensures availability of necessary equipment and supplies.
- Greets patient and family in a timely manner and keeps them informed of any delays/changes.
- Verifies two patient identifiers utilizing the armband prior to any interventions.
- Conducts complete patient assessment and evaluation of each patient prior to surgery or treatment, which includes review of patient history and diagnostic tests, physical, and psychological assessment.
- Assess patient’s understanding of procedure and checks surgical consent for accuracy and completeness. Obtains and witnesses patient’s signature if needed.
- Consistently reviews charts for completeness, in accordance with clinical protocols, prior to surgery (i.e. consents, H/P, diagnostic studies, assessments, home medications list, etc.)
o Ensures that H/P is a complete full examination of all body systems and dated within 30-days prior to procedure.
o Ensures that H/P, orders for the procedure, and consent form are consistent prior to placing in medical chart.
- Verifies surgical site verbally with patient per policy.
- Participates in the anesthesia time-out process if performed in the pre-op area prior to administration of pre-operative blocks or prior to the induction of anesthesia.
- Initiates intravenous therapy as prescribed, utilizing aseptic technique utilizing appropriate IV start kit, catheter and fluid. Ensures that medication is labeled appropriately.
- Receives and acknowledges preoperative physician’s orders and implements accordingly. Utilizing appropriate documentation for verbal/telephone orders.
- Administers pre-operative medications as prescribed and utilizes safety medication practices (i.e. aseptic preparation, labeling medications, identifying high alert and independent check medications, 7 medication rights, narcotic waste, etc.). Monitors patient until transferred to OR.
- Monitors patient if IV sedation given in pre-op setting to assure patient maintains airway and vital signs are stable. Administers oxygen and provides continuous monitoring and support as needed.
Demonstrates knowledge/understanding of pain blocks and is readily available to assist anesthesia as needed.
Prepares patient care area adequately and ensures availability of necessary equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrates proper airway management techniques (oral airway, extubation, pulse oximetry monitoring, O2 administration, etc.)
- Understand principals of hemodynamic monitoring and monitors patient according to policy (vital signs, temperature, cardiac, etc.).
- Recognizes signs and symptoms of patient’s condition that indicate potential post procedure or anesthesia related complications and report to anesthesiologist immediately.
- Monitors and maintains proper intravenous intake and output.
- Exhibits proper technique for insertion, maintenance, and removal of IV catheters and saline locks.
- Performs head to toe assessment of patient and evaluates patient utilizing approved scoring system upon admission and as indicated by policy.
- Documents patient assessment upon admission.
- Checks dressings and/or operative site and reports abnormalities to the surgeon.
- Provides a safe and comforting environment for patient and family while restraining patient for safety reasons, as needed and in accordance with facility policy.
- Prepares and administers medications in accordance with current practice (i.e. antibiotics, narcotics, preparing/labeling medications, identifying high alert medications, utilizing 7 patient rights for medication administration and appropriate handling of narcotic waste).
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of medications utilized intra and poster operatively and recognizes the need for use of reversal drugs, when necessary.
- Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a calm and controlled manner.
- Assures that patient meets all discharge criteria.
o Patient is evaluated by a physician/anesthesia provider prior to discharge.
o Written discharge order is received from the attending physician prior to patient discharge.
o Patient is discharged home with a responsible adult, unless otherwise approved by physician.
- Confirms that patient and family receives and verbalizes understanding of written discharge instructions.
- Documents all appropriate patient information in accordance with charting guidelines.
- Conducts patient post procedure calls. Documents and reports to patient’s physician any abnormalities communicated by patient/family member during the follow up call.
- Takes responsibility for careful and accurate handling and/or logging of narcotics.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients and stretchers to prevent injury to patient and self.
- Complies with principles of hand hygiene, aseptic and sterile technique.
- Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance and cleanliness of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
- Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials.
- Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets.
- Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center’s goals and objectives.
- Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current RN licensure, BCLS, ACLS, and PALS (if indicated) and other professional certifications current as defined by job role.
- Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
- Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings and participates in emergency drills.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of records and patient information at all times.
- Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”.
While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical developments).
Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing.
Minimum 2 years of experience in a PACU or ICU setting; preferably in an ambulatory surgery center.
Additional specialty experience may be required as per facility practices (i.e. Pediatric, GI, etc.)
Active RN license as required by state of employment.
Required valid BCLS Certification upon employment. *Online Certification not accepted.
Required valid ACLS Certification upon employment.
PALS as required by facility.
Job: *Nursing - Professional
Title: PreOp Nurse PRN
Location: Florida-Aventura-Surgery Center of Aventura
Requisition ID: 25018-4294