Northwell Health Specialist, Critical Care-PD-CT Surgery-Suffolk in Bay Shore, New York
Req Number 001RAT
Job Category Physician Assistant
Prepares patient for surgery, assists surgeons and staff in the Operating Room. Performs duties associated with Cardiovascular and Thoracic surgical procedures.
- Prepares patient for surgery.
• Assists in relieving patient anxiety by answering questions related to their surgical procedures and post-operative care; and assists in obtaining an informed consent from patient.
• Ensures laboratory tests are ordered and results are interpreted.
• Ensures surgeon's pre-operative medications are ordered.
- Provides assistance to surgeons and health care team during operation.
• Positions, preps and drapes the patient for the intended procedure.
• Provides first and second assist to the surgeon on a variety of procedures.
• Uses knowledge of the surgical procedures and the equipment being used.
• Makes post-operative orders appropriate for the procedure performed.
Assumes post-critical care of the patient including, but not limited to performing rounds; recording progress notes; ensuring patients are on appropriate medications while in the hospital and upon discharge; and performing dressing changes, septic wound care and suture removal.
Performs various Hospital related duties.
• Provides assistance during surgery and participates in on-call responsibilities.
• Performs rounds and ensures patients are on appropriate medications during Hospital stay and upon discharge.
• Works collaboratively to develop, enhance and implement protocols for new procedures, processing and treating patients pre/post operatively.
- Performs various community duties.
• Performs patient education to assist patients in making Health related decisions. Promotes Hospital and community based resources.
• Helps reduce pre-hospitalization anxiety by answering questions.
• Seeks to reduce the Hospital's OR cancellation rate by detailing patient histories.
• Evaluates patients' clinical condition for appropriate aftercare referrals or placement into research and outcome studies. Addresses insurance requirements to ensure appropriate placement in order to avoid denials.
- Performs related duties, as required.
• Bachelor's Degree, required.
• Graduate of an accredited (Accreditation Review Committee for Physician Assistant Programs (ARC-PA) program, required.
• Licensed Physician Assistant (LPA) by the New York State Department of Education, required.
• Current NCCPA Certification from the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA), required.
• Current BLS and ACLS certification, required.
• Minimum of five (5) years related experience including Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery, Quality Assurance and Education.