American Water Sr Supt Opns in Belleville, Illinois
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Manages the day-to-day operations of water and/or wastewater distribution/collection system(s) in accordance with Company policies and procedures and all applicable governmental laws and regulations.
• Prepare and control local construction, operations, and maintenance within established budget limitations.
• Be the lead in establishing and managing personal relationships and rapports with political, civic and key stakeholders within area of responsibility. Be interface with regulatory entities and represent company positions as regulatory proceedings and hearings.
• Ensure local water and/or wastewater operations meet the required standards and are in compliance with regulatory targets
• Manage the implementation of standards, targets, policies, and plans to ensure the continuing and increasing operational efficiency, effectiveness, and profitability.
• Ensure that operational integrity (quality, environment, reliability, health, safety, security, etc.) is maintained.
• Develop and direct cost effective solutions to meet customers’ expectations and technical requirements and to encourage best practice and innovation throughout all operational areas.
• Implement effective reporting processes. Provide analysis and support to Network Director with information required for various reports, budgets, and business plans.
• Implement and foster the coaching and development of employees, including idea generation, within respective functional areas.
• Support Directors and local operational managers in ensuring effective people management policies and practices are developed and implemented (e.g. time and attendance, workforce management, etc.) and ensure resources are developed and deployed appropriately.
• Continue to reinforce the importance of developing a diverse work force.
• Support the Business Development function in the operational analysis pricing and integration of water and wastewater business opportunities in both the regulated and non-regulated markets
• Work collaboratively with other functional leads to mitigate business risks. (Work order completion, unaccounted for water)
• Implement effective communications at all levels of our operations.
• Provide effective leadership that will enhance our abilities to be flexible to changing business environments.
• Contribute to effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business.
Knowledge of the regulated water/wastewater business within the region and the regulations impacting the business as well as applicable regulations, requirements, and trends within water/wastewater business, Knowledge of company policies and procedures and management theories, practices, and trends, expert knowledge of process and operational areas. Bachelor’s degree in operational discipline, management, or related technical discipline or equivalent experience. 4 years experience in supervising operational areas and operating units, and managing and meeting performance targets.
Strong written and verbal communication skills (e.g. fluency, report writing, developing materials and presentations). Strong interpersonal skills (e.g. persuasion, negotiation, listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy, problem solving,
internal consulting, etc.). Effective leadership skills and presence and strong team building, collaboration and talent evaluation skills. Good quantitative skills (e.g. analytical, technical, problem solving). Ability to manage a geographically diverse and dispersed organization. High level of computer literacy required.
Prioritizes & Role Models Safety
Plans, Aligns, & Directs
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing*™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants* based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.